Fermentation ? - 1st brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedCheeser

Reaction score
Ok, so basically, I'm just wondering how much activity I'm supposed to see in the air lock. After about one day I was seeing a bubble every ~2 seconds. Day 2 - about every 3 seconds, and now day 3 about 7-8 seconds. For some reason, in my mind, I had imagined that it would be bubbling like a fish tank during the first couple days. So how much activity does everyone else see? Should I still let it go for 7 days?

Side note: I put the lid on the bucket, and then tried to put the air lock in, and somehow pushed the rubber grommet through...it couldn't be retrieved, so I just let it go for the time being, and we we tried to put some paper towel around the stem of the air lock to make sure it was a tight fit, so I guess it's possible there's a slight air leak there, but it seemed like it was pretty snug and should be ok.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like the beer was chugging away nicely. Good job on not freaking out about the grommet. It won't harm your beer at all. Saran wrap may give you a snugger fit than the paper towel method. I would definately let it be for more than 7 days.

It sounds fine to me. There isn't really any "average" number of blurps- I've had beers ferment out perfectly without ever seeing an airlock bubble. I've had others that were like freight trains. Airlock activity is not a reliable sign of fermentation activity, so even though it's cool to look at and sniff it sometimes (well, for me anyway!), it really doesn't matter if it's bubbling or not, especially since it's not an airtight seal. Just leave it be for 10 days to two weeks, unless you're planning on racking it to a clearing tank.

Ok, awesome guys. Thanks for the replies. I do have a glass carboy that I'm racking to for secondary fermentation, so I was planning on around 7 days in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, and then start sampling bottles randomly after 1-2 weeks in bottles. Seem like a good enough schedule, or do I need more time in areas?

P.S. you are all awesome.

The general rule is if your using a clearing tank:

1 week in Primary
2 weeks in Secondary
3 weeks in Bottle/kegs

I usually occasionally open a bottle to make sure its carbonating and to taste its progress, however, don't expect it to taste wonderful until it has been bottled for at LEAST 3 weeks. Usually it taste very green and bitter but it will get better with time. You will be amazed in the difference in taste at week 2 in the bottle and week 4 in the bottle!

Also, save a 6 pack to "forget you had it" And let this age for a couple months then try it. I think of them as the "golden six pack" from all my batches :drunk:

Back