Fermentasaurus Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErsteBrau

Reaction score
Hi fellow Home Brewers,

I was thinking about buying the Fermentasaurus, but I had a question about it. I want to be able to bottle directly from it using a standard bottling tube and valve (like this - http://www.vasepivo.cz/zbozi/prislusenstvi/nadoby-a-prislusenstvi-O65/stacec-Z106.html). Is this possible, or do I need some tubing as well to connect?

I would also like to use the yeast container so I could chuck out all the yeast and then swap it for the barb and bottling valve when it comes time to bottle. Is all of that feasible? At the moment I will forgo the pressure kit, but might get it in the future.

Lastly, what is the best way for taking hydrometer readings?

Cheers and thanks!
Doug

If the fermenter has a spigot you'll need hose to connect the bottling wand to the spigot

Very easy. Just make sure it's sanitized

You can santize the hydrometer and drop in the fermenter or get a thief which is a tube you stick in to extract wort out and drop hydrometer in there to get reading, then drink the wort, again make sure thief is sanitized before putting into wort

Can also use a refractometer to get your readings, doesn't waste near as much wort and may be a bit more easier to use

I use the pressure kit with my fermentasaurus but what you are asking should be possible. Dump the yeast then connect the bottling barb to the bottom of the cone.
Only concern is that removing yeast isn't as easy as it should be. I haven't bothered removing the yeast in my last couple of batches since yeast is a smaller concern than oxidation.

Sadu is right about the yeast not being as easy to remove as advertised... There is always some residue around the bottom of the fermenter and that is a problem when drawing the wort from the bottom... I have attached a hose onto the spigot with one of these little filters (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M74BJW3/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) on the end of the hose. I then run the first bit into a jug as it is not something you want to drink- only 50mls or so and then run the rest into a bottling bucket with priming sugar in and then bottle from there- but oxidation is a problem here...

You could run the yeasty bit into a jug and then attach bottling wand and bottle from the fermenter but if you dry hop in the fermentasaurus there will always be hop particulate still in the wort (I have not tried fining with gelatine to see if you can get the hop particulate to drop out). I have not tried them but I would be tempted to get an in line filter to take care of any particulate. https://www.brewuk.co.uk/md-bouncer-filter.html

But this is all added complication and like Sadu says increases risk of oxidation especially in super hoppy beers...

Fermentasaurus has been great for fermenting but I am still working towards getting the setup perfect for what I want to do...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back