Ferment Temps??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I do all of my fermenting in the garage, which is a nice steady 65-75f around this time of year. Durring the summer will I have to transfer this to the inside to keep it under 80?? my garage gets up to about 85-90 durring summer months.

Also can I store my beer in bottles out there year round or should I move them inside as well??

where does everyone store thier beer?

you really want to keep things under 72F (not 75F). I fermented a couple batches at aout 75 and they ended up with off flavors (esters) that I did not want.

bottled beer can be kept at temps a little warmer than fermenting temps, but I still wouldn't want mine sitting someplace >80F.

I store my fermenters in a fridge with an external thermostat to keep it under 70F.

I store my bottles in the fireplace cove in the house, but when it gets warmer, I'll probably try to make room for bottles in that fridge in the garage. Either that, or stick them under the house.

-walker

Being a warm weather brewer as well; I'm a happy camper right now with the temp in the desert. However in summer I have to be creative and deal with temp management. Like Walker said on the temp - fermentation temp is rather critical to stay typically in 68-74 range depending on yeast used. If you can do a temp controlled fridge for fermenting great, else you can do the poor mans thing that I and others did called a Fermentation Chiller. Read this thread for that - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1024&highlight=fermentation+chiller or my write-up on my slow-arsed site http://65.101.176.180/Beer/fermchiller/default.htm

As for bottles, I think they can store a bit warmer (I do at about 80 in summer) but I'd keep them inside not in your garage.

How cold is too cold to keep bottled beer? It's getting Damn Cold in Chitown, cold to the point where my garage fridge doesn't need to run. Cold to the point where beer I keep in the garage is starting to get ice crystals in it. But now I'm afraid to bring them inside, because I know from experience that quickly warming up can cause them to explode, just as can happen if they completely freeze.

So, considering that we're due for some below zero temps here soon, when should I consider finding a new place to store all those bottles of beer in the garage?

Cheesefood said:
It's getting Damn Cold in Chitown...

Don't know the answer to that but not regretting leaving Milwaukee 8 years ago with your commentary!

I'd be worried if the temperatures got more than a degree or two below freezing. Most ales will freeze at 28F or so. Just putting a plywood box around your beer storage and a simple water line heater would help a lot. At least the lake winds can't get at the ale.

david_42 said:
I'd be worried if the temperatures got more than a degree or two below freezing. Most ales will freeze at 28F or so. Just putting a plywood box around your beer storage and a simple water line heater would help a lot. At least the lake winds can't get at the ale.

No...the alcohol keeps them from freezing too easily. It's in the teens in my garage and there's no drafts, so it's just at the point of forming crystals but not completely freezing.

desertBrew said:
How's the basement? If it's cool I'd move them there.

Basement is actually very warm. I live in a middle-unit townhouse, so I get the benefit of both of my neighbor's heated basements keeping mine toasty. I like keeping the beer in the garage because it stays cold. Soon, SWMBO has promised that we're going to get a new fridge for the kitch and I can have the current fridge for beer.

Back