Fermcap S

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
I used the recommended dose of fermcap in the boil and then added the recommended dose to the wort after pitching yeast.
This was my first time using it so I'm wondering if I over did it and what will be the outcome?

It definitely won't ever flow while its fermenting and will settle out with the yeast? I've accidentally over dosed fermcap a few times due to a drippy eye dropper, never noticed anything inconvenient

You'll be fine. Don't they give that stuff straight to babies for gas? I don't have kids if you can't tell.

For future reference, I use maybe 3-4 drops for a 5 gal batch and it stops boilovers.

You'll be fine. Don't they give that stuff straight to babies for gas? I don't have kids if you can't tell.

For future reference, I use maybe 3-4 drops for a 5 gal batch and it stops boilovers.

I have two kids and I've never heard of giving them anti foam agents for anything. I do wish they had anti slobber agent though!! Lol they'd get a healthy dose of that everyday with breakfast.
Yeah it's got quite a bit in it. I put like 5-6 drops in the boil and another 4-5 after I pitched.
I know I've ingested worse on my quest to catch a buzz before.

The infant gas drops have the same ingredient as fermcap. I use it regularly when boiling starter wort in my erlenmeyer flask.

EDIT: Err, I'm not a chemist but apparently it's not the same ingredient.

Infant gas drops - simethicone

Fermcap S - Dimethylpolysiloxane

IME though the infant gas drops do work. Not cheaper than fermcap S though but for me we have it laying around house.

The infant gas drops have the same ingredient as fermcap. I use it regularly when boiling starter wort in my erlenmeyer flask.

IME though the infant gas drops do work. Not cheaper than fermcap S though but for me we have it laying around house.

I have two kids and I've never heard of giving them anti foam agents for anything. I do wish they had anti slobber agent though!! Lol they'd get a healthy dose of that everyday with breakfast.
Yeah it's got quite a bit in it. I put like 5-6 drops in the boil and another 4-5 after I pitched.
I know I've ingested worse on my quest to catch a buzz before.
LOL about the slobbering. WI posted the links for me. They are the same thing.

The bottle I purchased prescribed 3 drops per gallon so I put 20 in the boil, none in the fermenter. This was my first time using it and it sounds like it was quite a bit more than what most people add. The batch is still fermenting but so far things don't seem out of line (fermenting like mad right now).

Wikipedia: "Simethicone is a mixture of polydimethylsiloxane and hydrated silica gel."

I use 3 drops per gallon, pre-boil volume, and have noticed that it still keeps the krausen in check too. I think enough carries over to the fermenter to not have to re-dose.

Back