Fermcap Killed My Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Singletrack

Because it's judgement that defeats us.
Reaction score
This was my first time using fermcap. I used 3 drops in a 5 liter starter during the boil. I cooled, pitched WLP 530 Abbey Ale yeast, and placed the flask on my stirrer. (I did not add more fermcap after boiling.) This starter is in a room that is a constant 76 degrees F. After 12 hours, there were no signs of fermentation. No bubbles at all. Is it possible the fermcap prevents visible bubbles? Or, is my yeast just dead? I don't really believe fermcap could have killed the yeast. Coincidence?

Or maybe WLP 530 is incredibly slow?

fermcap will limit surface bubbles, but i have never used it in a starter so I dunno. i think it recommends a few drops for a 5 gal batch, so you may have overdid it.

I ues it in every starter I make with no issues so I doubt it killed it.

I typically use 2 drops per liter and it works great.

I wouldn't say it prevents the bubbles but it definitely makes them harder to see. I use fermcap on every starter and I've never had a problem.

I used fermcap for the first time in a starter on my last beer and I had the same thing happen. I thought the exact same thing as you did but I remember I read somewhere that it was a normal reaction with fermcap. The beer I used it in fermented great. So I think you are good.

fermcap will limit surface bubbles, but i have never used it in a starter so I dunno. i think it recommends a few drops for a 5 gal batch, so you may have overdid it.

It recommends a few drops per gallon. My starter was about 1.3 gallons, so 4 drops are recommended. I used 3. However, the effect of those 3 drops was dramatic, and it carried over to the fermentation, so I agree that I could (should) have used less. Next time I will try one drop.

I don't use Fermcap but I will tell you WLP530 takes awhile to take off. Give it a day or 2.

You are correct! After 24 hours, my starter now has all the tiny bubbles I expected to see at 12 hours, but there is absolutely no foam on top. Weird. No chance of blowoff, and that's great, but I definitely will cut the dosage next time.

Back