Fermcap - defoamers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I was using Fermcap, I had some boil overs. When I used it in the fermenter I still had some beers blow off. I did use the prescribed dosage.

Since it did not always do what was intended and I really don't want to ingest any silicone, (yes I know that it is a very small amount and is supposed to settle out) I stopped using it.

For boil overs, I just have to pay attention. It is often difficult when I get on HBT while boiling.....

For blow off, I rig a blow off tube and let it do what it is going to do.

My opinion... YMMV.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but there's a thread that we're working on to provide a pretty safe estimate of how much Fermcap/Defoamer 105/whatever to add to wort: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=628937

I've had experiences both ways. For one of our IPAs, it worked flawlessly. With our Amber, it doesn't do anything. My guess is that a defoaming agent's effectiveness will vary depending on the malt bill, with only my anecdotal experience as proof.

I've had experiences both ways. For one of our IPAs, it worked flawlessly. With our Amber, it doesn't do anything. My guess is that a defoaming agent's effectiveness will vary depending on the malt bill, with only my anecdotal experience as proof.

That could be the answer to my experience. I don't remember which recipes or yeasts caused the blow off even when using fermcap. Or during the boil. But in my experience it is not always effective and seems a crutch rather than a solution.

Used it for about 7 years now, and would be very wary about brewing without it.

Roughly 100 brews and not an issue.

I use it in the boil (2 drops/gallon) and have not had any boil overs. Yes, I still watch as it comes up to boil as it still has a 'head' on the boil, but never had to step in and save it. After getting to boil, I just forget about it and get on with stuff.

I use it in the fermenter too, generally about 1.5 drops per gallon (I assume some has come across from the boil, and I don't want to add too much.). I still use a blow-off, but that is more to do with filling a 7 gallon fermenter to about 6.25 gallons (little head space). I'll get some thru the blow-off maybe 1 in 5 brews, mostly from Belgian yeasts. I never lose much, maybe a pint at most, usually just a few ozs. I figure if I didn't use FermCap, I'd lose a lot more.

I think it pays for itself in saving lost beer and less worry during the boil.

I used it in the past, but forgot to replace it when it spilled. I haven't used it in about 7 or 8 years, I'm guessing. I haven't had a boil over, and I haven't had a blow off. Of course, I don't do big wheat beers in a too-small carboy or anything that would require a blow off tube. I use an 8 gallon bucket, with plenty of headspace, and haven't used a blow off tube in more than 10 years anyway.

To manage boilovers (because I start with 12.5 gallons in a 15 gallon keg for my boil), I just stir well when it threatens to boil over until the hot break.

The only time I would be tempted to use it is in starters. In the kettle and fermenter I just use a vessel that is big enough to contain the foam. 33L for a 21L fermentation and 50L for a 30L pre boil volume. It literally impossible to get a blow off or boil over.

Never used fermcap, and I don't intend to. I pay attention during the boil, and if I feel like I don't have enough space in the fermenter, I put on my blowoff assembly. It seems much more desirable than adding something to my beer.

My anecdotal experiences. I have been using FermCapS regularly for the past couple years. I typically ferment 5.25 gal in a 6 gal carboy (I know I should get a bigger fermenter). If I use a blow-off tube instead of FermCapS with a top-fermenting ale yeast, then I lose a lot of yeast out of the top. FermCapS seems to work well at the early stages when to foam is frothy, however it wears off after a couple of hours and needs to be replaced (1 drop per gallon seems to be fine at that point). Later in fermentation when the foam is denser, FermCapS doesn't seem to do much. Since the FermCapS does seem to wear off, I am hoping that it finds its way into to sediment at the bottom of the vessel.

I use FermCap-S and never had a problem. Then again I havnt brewed every style of beer yet either.

I use fermcap in most of my boils. I tend to start with 14 gallons in a 15.5 gallon kettle and about half the recommended dose is enough to prevent boil over. This is actually better than it sounds because I brew in the garage and and the floor is slightly pitched.
I'm within a half inch from the rim at start of some boils. Keep telling myself I need to get a bigger kettle but good enough is the enemy of best.

In addition to Fermcap S using hop extract for bittering addition helps manage the small boil kettle.

I recently started using it when I made the jump from 5 to 10 gallon batches in my 15 gallon kettle. I have been gradually reducing the amount I use. For my last brew, I only used 3 drops in ~13 gallons of wort and it was effective. I find that it works best when added to the wort once it reaches ~205 degrees. I wait until I start to see some foam on the surface. Some gentle stirring to incorporate and boilovers are a non-issue.

I also use it when making yeast starters. I add one drop to my 4L flask to prevent a messy boilover on the stovetop. Works well for that purpose too.

I have seen that it does work, put a few drops in a foaming kettle and the foam usually lessens, but in my case - not always. It is supposed to carry over to the fermenter. I have added more to the fermenter and still had blow off. Not often. I kept it refrigerated when I used it. It is still in the fridge but has not been used for at least 4 years..

I've used it for years and never had a boil over. I didn't realize it's supposed to be kept refrigerated so have never done that, but haven't noticed a difference. Works great on starters too.

We have used it in the brewery before in the kettle, the fermenter, and blowoff buckets. I think the cellarman uses it in his 3 bbl boils but it does nothing at prescribed dosage in the fermenters. Now it's just used to prevent massive amounts of foam by adding to the blowoff buckets but still they need to be swapped out for fresh ones sometimes

I haven't used it so far, but the only place I've felt like it might be worth it is in my starters. I usually do 1.5 L starters in a 2L flask and I have had one overflow on me.

Because of that, I went to the store looking for fermcap. He didn't have any, but he had a different anti-foamer which I bought without looking too closely. When I got home, the instructions say to add 1 drop for 5 gallons and has a warning not to exceed 200 ppm. I have no idea how to scale that for a starter, so I just skipped it.

Because of that, I went to the store looking for fermcap. He didn't have any, but he had a different anti-foamer which I bought without looking too closely. When I got home, the instructions say to add 1 drop for 5 gallons and has a warning not to exceed 200 ppm. I have no idea how to scale that for a starter, so I just skipped it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=628937

I'm guessing you have Defoamer 105. We did some math on this other thread.

We use this stuff..

http://www.murphyandson.co.uk/Datasheets/ANTIFOAM.pdf

I've met brewers who just add a cap full neat to the copper. I make it up 1:10 with a spray bottle using water off the boil and use it to knock down foam during collection to the copper (it makes an awful mess if it sticks to the lid) and during top filling of fermentation vessels (you can fill higher and without stopping) as I find that the surface area/contact is the most important factor. Foaming can be significant or insignificant depending on the grain bill, but if the spray bottles are working correctly I need less than 200ml of diluted spray for a 2,200L fill.

If you dump it into the copper or into fermenter as is, without misting it then you will use tons of it for the same result. The benefit of dumping it in is that you don't have to be the fastest gun in the west constantly alert with the spray bottle for foaming. The down side is you use 20 times as much (it is expensive and after all, it isn't beer). If I've any made up left over I will refrigerate it and dump it in hot side only the next brew day as I'm paranoid about using it cold side though it doesn't hang around longer than 48 hours.

Back