ferm temp too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish Draught extract about 2 1/2 weeks ago, used Danstar Windsor Ale yeast, pitched at about 74 deg. I don't have a good way (yet) to control my fermenting temperature and the temp has stayed around 80 deg the entire time. I hit my 045 OG then promptly dropped my hydrometer and broke it. There was crazy airlock activity about 5 hours after pitching and for the next 3 days, then suddenly stopped, nothing! I am wondering if the temp is too high and i have effectively killed my brew. I have read thru some of the other related forums with somewhat mixed results, meaning that i am now fairly confused. I have a secondary but rarely use it, what do you guys think, have i ruined the batch or should i let it ride. I am working so much right now, it will prob be 4 weeks in the primary before i get a chance to bottle.

You should be fine at 80, it's not ideal but you shouldn't have an issue. Being in the South also I understand the controlling temps problem in the summer. What I do to try stabilizing the temp is to put the fermenter in a rubbermaid container filled with water. If the temps start to get a little high just add some ice to the water and it should slowly cool it down.

80s a bit warm, warm enough to produce some funny flavors and whatnot, but not warm enough to kill your yeast. You should try'n cool it off a bit, ideally, but your beer will ferment out at 80*.

I had thought about that and read where others had suggested that, but right now i am having to keep my primary in the house, i dont have a garage, i do have an out building, which is my wood shop, but it is warmer. SWMBO kinda frowns when i move the primary to a more ideal location. I am working on my keg fridge and am looking for another that i can put a controller on to do the fermenting.

The ferment probably went nuts at 80 degrees and is probably completed, hence the lack of activity. That's a higher temp than you really want, and probably produced some esters and stuff that you don't really want, but longer time in primary will give the yeast enough time to clean up after themselves as best they can.
Also, with a fairly rich recipe like an Irish Draught, you may not notice any off flavors at all!
In summary, you're in good shape, nothings ruined, just let it ride, and of course, RDWHAHB!

Yep, the fermentation activity was crazy, didn't have to put on a blowoff tube but it was an almost constant stream of bubbles in the airlock for nearly 3 days. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to cool it off a bit somehow till i get a chance to bottle.

I suspect fermentation is done. It will go quicker at higher temps.

You probably have a lot of flavors from the yeast, maybe some bubble gum, and probably have a lot of fusel alcohols. If you get nasty headaches from drinking it (even if you haven't drunk too much), its a result of he fermentation temp.

I brewed up the same recipe 11 days ago, missed my OG by 3 points. I think i didnt get a good OG reading cause i didnt stir after adding the remaining water to reach 5 gallons so i may have hit it. I had to use a blow off tube after day 2 cause it was getting in the airlock, took it off and put the airlock back on after day 4 or so. As of today im pretty sure its done fermenting (day 11) let me know how yours ends up, be interesting to compare notes. Cheers!!

I Pitched the dry yeast at 78 and ferm temp is 64-66 degrees

I fermented my first brew (an English bitter) in the low 80s a couple months back, was really worried about it. I was obviously unprepared for the hot weather.

I wouldn't do it again... but the beer turned out just fine (so far -- almost three weeks in the bottle and it tastes great).

Obviously, maybe it would have been even better if I did it right... and of course I may have just been lucky. But don't stress it until you taste it.

In other words... RDWHAHB!

Danstar Windsor has a recommended temp range of 64-70* F. 80 is awfully high, I think everyone above hit the nail on the head as far as what to expect and what has happened.

There are some great, inexpensive (maybe free if you have extra stuff lying around!) ways to control fermentation temperatures. Do some searching or if you have space then start checking craigslist/garage sales for cheap/free fridges and freezers.

Thanks for all the replies and the great info. It is as i suspected. I have already started my hunt for a fridge for fermenting and clearing out a corner of my woodshop to build myself a brew room. I and (and my friends) like my beer and i'm needing to get a pipeline going if i am going to keep my future 4 tap fridge full, and it looks like the only way i'll be able to do that (atleast till the weather cools off) is to get me a fridge for fermenting. Again, thanks for all the info and POISLB, i'll let you know how it turns out and you do the same. Cheers to all!

Back