Ferm temp advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusmedic

Reaction score
I’m late to the game, but just brewed two Sf Pats day beers over the past 24 hours. I have a fermentation chamber and have a dry Irish Stout with Wyeast 1084 now chugging away at 67F. I just brewed a Irish red ale using Nottingham and I’m just reading how this would like a lower temp.
My plan was roughly following brulosphy quick ale procedure of about 67 for 7 days and then bump to 75 for a couple before cold crashing.

From what I’m reading, 67 is on upper end of notty. Any temp suggestions for getting both beers in the keg within 14 days?

I’m late to the game, but just brewed two Sf Pats day beers over the past 24 hours. I have a fermentation chamber and have a dry Irish Stout with Wyeast 1084 now chugging away at 67F. I just brewed a Irish red ale using Nottingham and I’m just reading how this would like a lower temp.
My plan was roughly following brulosphy quick ale procedure of about 67 for 7 days and then bump to 75 for a couple before cold crashing.

From what I’m reading, 67 is on upper end of notty. Any temp suggestions for getting both beers in the keg within 14 days?

To me 67 is quite high. I favor 63-64 F as I get cleaner fermentation. 75F would be way out of my comfort zone.

Notty is best around 61-62F IMO. Anything above 65 and it throws fusels and peach esters. At 67 it will finish very quick. Standby for an aggressive ferm.

I use Notty for just about all my brews and have gone down to 57F. You can fool someone into thinking your ale is a lager below 60. 60-62 your beer will keep a super clean/neutral ale like flavor.

I've literally just been fermenting everything at 66 with great results.

You just haven't been trying enough varieties of yeasts. Try a Saison which likes to finish at 80+ or a Nottingham that prefers less than 64. Neither of them will give you great results if fermented at 66.

You just haven't been trying enough varieties of yeasts. Try a Saison which likes to finish at 80+ or a Nottingham that prefers less than 64. Neither of them will give you great results if fermented at 66.
Thats subjective what you consider 'performs great' personal though I don't like Saisons and Nottingham yeast. Most yeast I utilize are Global and harvest. Both do well, for my Platte, at 66.

Since I got a fermentation chamber about a year ago, I have mostly adopted a fermentation schedule described in "How to Brew". For most ales I am pitching at 64F or 66F and holding there for a few days. Once the krusen starts to drop and fermentation starts to slow (about day 3), I raise the temp up about 5F to 70F to 72F range. I have really been happy with the clean flavors, along with the consistent and fast fermentation times. Palmer (pg 94) actually recommends a 5F to 10F temp raise after 3-4 days.

That said, I cannot recall ever used Nottingham, other than for a recent cider.

Latest posts

Back