Fellowship of the Drink XXVIII: Skol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneTreeFarms

Reaction score
Now that we’re through the dog days of summer…
I officially announce the 28th running of the Fellowship of the Drink!

If you’ve participated before, it’s good to (hopefully) see you again. If not, see below for the rules.

The FotD is a beer swap for members of the continental US to allow you to try some beers from outside your region. Every participant picks a few beers as their “offer.” Then we devise a draw order and go down the list until everyone has selected an offer to receive.

Here are ALL the previous rounds so you can see how this works (and some of the cool names):
So how does it work?

If you’re interested in participating:
  1. Post your interest in this thread! I will keep a list of the interested people (please also see the "Rules" below for eligibility)
  2. Make sure you are confirmed
  3. Go shopping for beer! (see "What's in an offer" and "What's in the box" below)
  4. After I have confirmed your entry, but before the “Offer Due” date, PM me a photo of your offering along with a link to something like Beer Advocate/Ratebeer/Untappd for each beer so that others can get an idea of what they are choosing
  5. Wait patiently for the offer list to be posted. A few days before the drawing, I will post a complete list of all the offerings and photos
  6. When I post the offerings, I will use a randomizer to create a drawing order. I will post a time for each participant that you are “On the Clock” with five minutes between participants
  7. Be here the night of the pick!
  8. Contact the person who picked you for shipping details
  9. Ship!
  10. Wait for your care package
  11. Enjoy it responsibly, and post a pic if you like
If you think you might not be around for the pick, send me a picklist order to put your choice in for you. I will not use your picklist until the end of your window, so you are welcome to enter a pick until that time.

On pick day, log in at your time slot to submit your pick on this thread. If you previously sent me a pick list, I’ll cover you. If you miss your window, say something in the thread when you arrive, and you can pick after the person currently picking. If you are a no-show, you will receive a randomly matched pick (or the last one, whichever applies.)

What’s in an offer?

Each offering should be:
  • At least 3-6 cans or bottles of commercial beer. Preferably, these will be local to the sender (or otherwise not widely distributed) but please - no more than 86 oz total in the pictured offer.
  • At least one non-beer item: glassware, stickers, koozies, etc. Get creative!
You may also offer some homemade beverages with the commercial offerings (we all love trying homebrew, let’s be honest).

What’s in the box?

The essential thing in the box is what you offered, but many participants also include other “extras.” It is not uncommon to receive beers not listed in the offering. Sometimes these are doubles, unique ones; sometimes, let’s face it, we are cleaning out our refrigerators.

The FotD isn’t a contest to see who can shove the most beer (or most expensive beer) in a box - whales are not required or expected. Most participants are looking to try beers they may have never known existed from small breweries local to you. Let’s think about those Untappd things.

Guidelines are just that, guidelines. Final shipments may, and many times do, exceed the offering posted. Extras are not required.

Some members have also been creative with “noisemakers.” I would never suggest that you ship prohibited items, but if you wanted your box to sound like something other than beer, the following have been used:
  • Hard candy
  • Coins
  • Rice
  • Beans
Be sure to pack well, and use ziplock or other methods to guard against leaks.

Rules (there must be rules)

Participants must also meet all of the following requirements:
  • Continental US resident of legal drinking age
  • An HBT member for at least six months
  • An active participant in the community (based on iTrader rating/activity, recent post count, participation in previous beer swaps, etc.)
  • ... or have been (or are vouched by) a previous FotD participant.
Current Timeline
  • Sunday, September 11th - Offers due (including photos & style descriptions)
  • Wednesday, September 14th - Offers and Pick Order posted.
  • Monday, September 19th - Pick day! 1st pick will be 7:00 PM EST. All others will be in a 5 min interval, according to the rules above.
Have any questions, or are you interested in participating? Post here!

I see the hardware, what brewery do you work at?
I don't work for a brewery. Hope to own one someday though. For now I am a competitive homebrewer! :mug:
The big plaque was the trophy for best of show at the 2019 Florida Best HB competition. I won BoS with a NEIPA. I also won a medal for my Belgian Blonde.

Cheers!

I don't work for a brewery. Hope to own one someday though. For now I am a competitive homebrewer! :mug:
The big plaque was the trophy for best of show at the 2019 Florida Best HB competition. I won BoS with a NEIPA. I also won a medal for my Belgian Blonde.

Cheers!
Nice!

Cheers!
Welcome to the new addiction! for all of the new entrants look through a few of the past rounds to see the offers and how these things work. Cheers!

27.6lbs
9.5lbs

Anyone wanna guess what those weights last week were for?

Also, since my package was finally delivered, I will go in on this one @LoneTreeFarms

I will get this one packages early so I don’t have to make up for my tardiness.
was it delivered today? i haven't gotten home yet, but now i can't wait!!! I'll pull together who all is in so far shortly and update on here.
Thanks @jerbrew!! I'll share pics with everyone when i open tonight.

I'm in the same boat. Didn't have time to shop and find anything really good. I'm going to have to bow out this round too haven't missed one in probably 2 years man!

Personally, I would be ok with bumping the dates by two or three days if it would help those that want to participate to get their offers in.
Just wanted to put that out there, just in case the rest of the group feels the same way.

Back