Fellowship of the Drink XXVI: Old Enough to Fight, Old Enough to Vote

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As we approach the Fifth Anniversary of the Fellowship of the Drink (FotD), I am honored to host the 26th running of this esteemed event. No prize at all will be conferred to the person who decodes the meaning of the name of this particular iteration (but I’ll be interested to see how quickly it happens.)

The FotD is a beer swap for members of the continental US to allow you to try some beers from outside your region. Every participant picks a few beers as their “offer.” Then we devise a draw order and go down the list until everyone has selected an offer to receive.

Here are ALL the previous rounds so you can see how this works (and some of the cool names):
So how does it work?

If you’re interested in participating:
  1. Post your interest in this thread! I will keep a list of the interested people (please also see the "Rules" below for eligibility)
  2. Make sure you are confirmed
  3. Go shopping for beer! (see "What's in an offer" and "What's in the box" below)
  4. After I have confirmed your entry, but before the “Offer Due” date, PM me a photo of your offering along with a link to something like Beer Advocate/Ratebeer/Untappd for each beer so that others can get an idea of what they are choosing
  5. Wait patiently for the offer list to be posted. A few days before the drawing, I will post a complete list of all the offerings and photos
  6. When I post the offerings, I will use a randomizer to create a drawing order. I will post a time for each participant that you are “On the Clock” with five minutes between participants
  7. Be here the night of the pick!
  8. Contact the person who picked you for shipping details
  9. Ship!
  10. Wait for your care package
  11. Enjoy it responsibly, and post a pic if you like
If you think you might not be around for the pick, send me a picklist order to put your choice in for you. I will not use your picklist until the end of your window, so you are welcome to enter a pick until that time.

On pick day, log in at your time slot to submit your pick on this thread. If you previously sent me a pick list, I’ll cover you. If you miss your window, say something in the thread when you arrive, and you can pick after the person currently picking. If you are a no-show, you will receive a randomly matched pick (or the last one, whichever applies.)

What’s in an offer?

Each offering should be:
  • At least 3-6 cans or bottles of commercial beer. Preferably, these will be local to the sender (or otherwise not widely distributed) but please - no more than 86 oz total in the pictured offer.
  • At least one non-beer item: glassware, stickers, koozies, etc. Get creative!
You may also offer some homemade beverages with the commercial offerings (we all love trying homebrew, let’s be honest).

What’s in the box?

The essential thing in the box is what you offered, but many participants also include other “extras.” It is not uncommon to receive beers not listed in the offering. Sometimes these are doubles, unique ones; sometimes, let’s face it, we are cleaning out our refrigerators.

The FotD isn’t a contest to see who can shove the most beer (or most expensive beer) in a box - whales are not required or expected. Most participants are looking to try beers they may have never known existed from small breweries local to you. Let’s think about those Untappd things.

Guidelines are just that, guidelines. Final shipments may, and many times do, exceed the offering posted. Extras are not required.

Some members have also been creative with “noisemakers.” I would never suggest that you ship prohibited items, but if you wanted your box to sound like something other than beer, the following have been used:
  • Hard candy
  • Coins
  • Rice
  • Beans
Be sure to pack well, and use ziplock or other methods to guard against leaks.

Rules (there must be rules)

Participants must also meet all of the following requirements:
  • Continental US resident of legal drinking age
  • An HBT member for at least six months
  • An active participant in the community (based on iTrader rating/activity, recent post count, participation in previous beer swaps, etc.)
  • ... or have been (or are vouched by) a previous FotD participant.
Current Timeline
  • Sunday, November 21st - Offers due (including photos & style descriptions)
  • Wednesday, November 24th - Picklist & order posted
  • Sunday, November 28th - Pick day! 1st pick will be 7:00 PM EST. All others will be in a 5 min interval, according to the rules above.
Have any questions, or are you interested in participating? Post here!

Last edited:
Currently watching hopeful to participate this round.

Just a thought… would it be better to have the draft night the week before or after Thanksgiving? The current date is the day before Thanksgiving.

I thought about it - the week before seemed quick compared to other rounds. The week after gets really close to Christmas shipping.

I mean I can move it, I just didn't see a better time.

I have no idea what you are talking about .....
I know I was drunk last night, but not that drunk. Lol. It’s all good. 😜

Attachments

• B9B30B4C-1E36-4394-A6D8-04CE9813C089.png
    B9B30B4C-1E36-4394-A6D8-04CE9813C089.png
    474.9 KB · Views: 35
Active Participants so far:
  • LBussy
  • Thorrak
  • gromitdj
  • Nagorg
  • orionol73
  • LoneTreeFarms
  • jerbrew
  • fourfarthing
  • jimyson
  • CTownBrewer

Would like to join. Don't post much so not sure if I meet the 3rd rule.

Here's who I have right now - let me know if I missed anyone:
  • LBussy
  • Thorrak
  • gromitdj
  • Nagorg
  • orionol73
  • LoneTreeFarms
  • jerbrew
  • fourfarthing
  • jimyson
  • CTownBrewer
  • JamesonFan
  • Knightshade
  • CrookedLaker
  • pers

I'll have to pass on this one. Working on packaging and shipping 12 BOC 2021....but maybe after the new year I might jump back in.

I always do like a good "draft" night!!!

Cheers All

Here's our current list of participants:
  • LBussy
  • Thorrak
  • gromitdj
  • Nagorg
  • orionol73
  • LoneTreeFarms
  • jerbrew
  • fourfarthing
  • jimyson
  • CTownBrewer
  • JamesonFan
  • Knightshade
  • CrookedLaker
  • pers
  • Bago-0
If you want to be in and you are not on this list, please let me know.

I’m really sorry & want to participate. I was hopeful I could make it happen but when three out of four of us in the house have a birthday in December and Christmas on top of it all, it’s an expensive time of the year.
Just giving you grief brother. I know this time of year gets tight. Hope all’s well with you and the fam!!❤️❤️

Back