Fellowship of the Drink XII: The Bad News Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't place judgement. You should call him; he's a nice guy ... would enjoy a few beer shipping stories ... from someone else!

Send him my way... he'd get f'n lost in all the corn fields. We'll get him smashed on shatty corn shine. If it were worth a damn I'd send some in one of these boxes, still thinking it might make me blind.

Send him my way... he'd get f'n lost in all the corn fields. We'll get him smashed on shatty corn shine. If it were worth a damn I'd send some in one of these boxes, still thinking it might make me blind.

You got his email, number, and address ... scroll a few back (I think the paper away) ;)

HA!! @jerbrew, they clearly knew and yet still relinquished the box. Wonder how many dings you get? This is number to at least ... Perhaps three, not counting.

I need to give Doug a call, d1cks.

IMG_20180618_191323.jpg

My address is there so you can all test your accounts and send me beers. Best to test, you know ... Practice makes perfect and all

HA!! @jerbrew, they clearly knew and yet still relinquished the box. Wonder how many dings you get? This is number to at least ... Perhaps three, not counting.

View attachment 575733

My address is there so you can all test your accounts and send me beers. Best to test, you know ... Practice makes perfect and all

Seriously!?!? Damn Doug! Lay off!! Although now I know where to send a gift box.....

View attachment 575733

Is this to you as the shipper or to you as the recipient?

Is this to you as the shipper or to you as the recipient?

I shipped.

What is extremely interesting is that this box was delivered, rather... I should say it was picked up. They gave him ****, as I understand.

Another box that was not delivered was destroyed and they sent a letter to the recipient, @Thorrak, letting him know that "blah blah beer blah blah" was shipped to him but tough ****. I never got a notice on that package as the shipper.

I think the San Diego guy submitted something internally informing FedEx of the beer in the box which prompted the letter to me ... weeks later.

Funny you say that because they now have several print out signs at my Fedex shop down the block that explicitly state you cannot ship California hops within or outside of the state. We're stingy like that!

Climax ruined. I was hoping to see they posted a sign about shipping alcohol after the last letter.

Now that I'm sober enough to read this letter I think all that one has to do is ship it with the Alcohol label (SEL 169 is for beer) and require a signature when you ship it. That might resolve Fedex's issue.

I almost want to ship a box of Prickly Pear with the above instructions to see how they treat it. They'll know it has/had beer in it.

Now that I'm sober enough to read this letter I think all that one has to do is ship it with the Alcohol label (SEL 169 is for beer) and require a signature when you ship it. That might resolve Fedex's issue.

I almost want to ship a box of Prickly Pear with the above instructions to see how they treat it. They'll know it has/had beer in it.

Do it with 1 bud light if you want to give it a try. This will likely prompt review to see if you are enrolled in the Alcohol Shipment Program, which you can’t be without being licensed to sell alcohol.

Probably not. That part about "you must be a licensed entity and enrolled in the FedEx Alcohol Shipping Program" seems to state otherwise.

That would also restrict you from shipping to certain states

Oklahoma liquor laws are insanely stupid and outdated. They are changing but it is a slow process. About 2 years ago breweries couldn’t sell any beer out of the tap room over 3.2% abv. They would have to sell it through a 3rd party. That has changed though and we are seeing a lot of growth in the brewing industry now which is cool. Liquor stores can’t sell cold beer and they can’t have anything in the store under 4% abv or something like that. So no mixers or even bottle openers. Grocery stores can’t sell anything over 3.2% abv and they can’t sell wine. Liquor stores have to close at 9pm and can’t open on Sunday. Taprooms can’t sell beer after 9pm. Grocery stores can’t sell beer between 2am and 6am. Wineries can’t sell their products directly, it has to go through a 3rd party. Some of those laws are changing in October like liquor stores can finally sell cold beer and grocery stores can sell “strong” beer. This was voted on 2 years ago and couldn’t go in to effect until this year. Sorry for the long post.....

I grew up in MA and moved up to NH after college for a bit. MA is backwards in theor liquor laws. One of the best feelings you ever get when you first move to NH is on a Sunday afternoon shopping for something to throw on the bbq. Then you think "hey I'm low on beer I'll pick up some in the same store" MA has changed the laws on sales on Sunday and non liquor stores but for some reason in NH you still cant sell beer in the same store as hard liquor. There are literally liqour stores. No beer. There's even liquor stores at rest areas off the highway. So when you go in there you're getting hard stuff.

Don't know how many times I've pulled off of a traffic jam to get some Macallen to put on the passengers seat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back