Fellowship of the Drink XII: The Bad News Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My shipments always weight 1lb [emoji6] if they catch it fine, if not it’s cheaper shipping for me.
Do you print your own label? I thought about doing that but was worried about them weighing it and making me pay more.

Do you print your own label? I thought about doing that but was worried about them weighing it and making me pay more.

I would expect that they will always weigh it and take dimensions and charge as such when using your own packaging and not choosing a flat rate service.

I use FedEx and print labels at home and it just charges my card within a week or two of package delivery. My average is usually around $15-$25 per shipment I think.

Yes, I print my own label. If they weight it and change the weight they just move it to the correct amount you should be charged. No different than if you put the correct weight to begin with. At least this has been my experience. I’ve never been “fined” for incorrect weight and I’ve been doing this for 3 years.

I also drop off at mom and pop shipping centers and they rarely weight it. So unless the driver wants to do it, it just goes to the sorting facility

Yes, I print my own label. If they weight it and change the weight they just move it to the correct amount you should be charged. No different than if you put the correct weight to begin with. At least this has been my experience. I’ve never been “fined” for incorrect weight and I’ve been doing this for 3 years.

I'm like 82% sure that they adjust at sorting facilities because I always look at what my expected charges are before printing the label, and I feel the actual charges always come out higher. Mine usually run $25-30 and weigh somewhere in the 15-20lb range.

I'm like 82% sure that they adjust at sorting facilities because I always look at what my expected charges are before printing the label, and I feel the actual charges always come out higher. Mine usually run $25-30 and weigh somewhere in the 15-20lb range.

I can’t argue that, I just always throw 1lb and if they wanna add in the correct info then more power to em. And if I catch a break here or there on shipping then great. [emoji16]

Mine was like 8.8 lbs I think and it was $25 the billing weight was 11 lbs. Would that mean I could have shipped up to 11 lbs at the same cost?

Mine was like 8.8 lbs I think and it was $25 the billing weight was 11 lbs. Would that mean I could have shipped up to 11 lbs at the same cost?

If I understood your comment correctly, I would think so. I would think that it adjusts per pound though, so I don't see how the same cost would be for a 8.8lb as it would be for an 11lb box. Perhaps I misunderstood you.

C60A93F9-EBEB-49BE-923F-BCE5865FDBFA.jpeg

I sent 2 beers to brulosophy and it cost me $17. I guess I should have used a smaller box. It only weighed 3.25 lbs.

Yeah shipping costs just don’t make any sense. I doubt that the UPS employees even understand it.

I’ve heard about similar things in the past and it’s usually about fraud - hopefully it’s nothing.

Like - all of your packages are usually between 15-20 pounds and today there was one for 374 shipping from Botswana to Mars. Is it legit?

I’ve heard about similar things in the past and it’s usually about fraud - hopefully it’s nothing.

Like - all of your packages are usually between 15-20 pounds and today there was one for 374 shipping from Botswana to Mars. Is it legit?

Yeah, I'm not concerned yet. The package to Thorrak is still en route which is presumably a good thing, so we'll see next week whether or not it's delivered without issue.

Back