Fellowship of the Drink IV: I'm out of Lord of the Rings Puns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my package from @tlucarelli yesterday. I can only assume he is a professional beer shipper, because it was packaged beautifully! I hope @k1ngl1ves is as happy with the package I'm sending him as I am with this one. everything to the left of the glass and homebrew is part of a side trade we agreed to. Now it's time for me to get shopping and drinking.

The kettle was used to carry it all outside for the picture, as well as my lame attempt at an artful background.

(Positive iTrader feedback left)

Fellowship IV.jpg

The Scottish ale is from High Cotton in Memphis, not really local to me, but the BEST Scottish ale I've ever had. Whenever someone I know is going through Memphis, I have them pick me up a case or two. SWMBOs favorite.

Last round I sent my package to RevKev like that. I told him to reuse them. I forgot to put my city on the tubes. Put on them Douglasville, GA to San Diego, CA and the date I sent them, then put your city and state and where you send them to with the date, and let's see how far they go and how long they last. I think it is the perfect way to send bottles and glasses. I paid about $10 for ten feet of pipe, and got eight tubes for shipping out of it.

I'll do that. They'll be some well travelled pieces of tubing that's for sure.

I tried a tropicalia and have to say that's one of the better IPAs I've had period. Love the balance and the aroma made me look like an a$$ cuz I sit was sitting there nose buried in the glass watching Hulu. Couldn't get enough.

Got my package from @tlucarelli yesterday. I can only assume he is a professional beer shipper, because it was packaged beautifully! I hope @k1ngl1ves is as happy with the package I'm sending him as I am with this one. everything to the left of the glass and homebrew is part of a side trade we agreed to. Now it's time for me to get shopping and drinking.

The kettle was used to carry it all outside for the picture, as well as my lame attempt at an artful background.

(Positive iTrader feedback left)

I learned how to pack from @afro_lou! His boxes are always on point! Hope you enjoy.

Has everyone received their packages? I'd like to start preparing for the next round, but aren't sure if we're finished up here.

If you haven't yet received yours, please, speak up.

I'm curious in this groups opinion - have any of you tried your hands at an East coast ipa? I am going crazy over these right now and hoping to find time to brew soon but never tried. Curious if anyone in this group has and if they have a recipe they prefer? Cheers in advance and sorry for the hijack

Brewed something similar, but it was 9.6% and I absolutely loved it, used 1:1:1 Galaxy, Mosaic and Citra and that was a fantastic combo!!

I'm working on that style too. As far as what ive learned, I would say kegging is important because of the amount of hops that these beers use. They don't do well with bottle conditioning. And mashing at a higher temp to get the right mouthfeel.

I'm working on that style too. As far as what ive learned, I would say kegging is important because of the amount of hops that these beers use. They don't do well with bottle conditioning. And mashing at a higher temp to get the right mouthfeel.

Thanks! How high did you mash? I was planning on targeting 154.

I mashed my last beer at 158f. I was planning 156f, but it ended up higher. The mouthfeel was perfect.

I'm curious in this groups opinion - have any of you tried your hands at an East coast ipa? I am going crazy over these right now and hoping to find time to brew soon but never tried. Curious if anyone in this group has and if they have a recipe they prefer? Cheers in advance and sorry for the hijack

Yup, follow that thread. Take the updated recipe that he links to in post 1418 and follow it. I know it's harder than just asking questions, but actually read the thread. There is all the information you need and more in there.

I've made a few of those IPAs using that recipe and they've all been great.

Yup, follow that thread. Take the updated recipe that he links to in post 1418 and follow it. I know it's harder than just asking questions, but actually read the thread. There is all the information you need and more in there.

I've made a few of those IPAs using that recipe and they've all been great.

Oh trust me I've been reading it for the better part of the last week. But I value your guys opinion is all and thought I'd see if any of you guys had tried it and had any feedback, that's all. Thanks!

Smaller the bittering charge the better and then lots of WP or 0 minute additions with huge dry hops really make the style, the dry hops will add IBUs also so don't worry about adding so so much during the boil. I think next time I'm scratching the 15 and 10 minute additions entirely

I'm also going to try a Hop tea in the keg for my next go. See how that works.

I'm not a fan of the tons of yeast still in suspension in those beers, but they are damn tasty. I'm working on a growler of Melcher Street from Trillium right now, and it's almost got me wanting to try my hand at the style, too.

I'm not a fan of the tons of yeast still in suspension in those beers, but they are damn tasty. I'm working on a growler of Melcher Street from Trillium right now, and it's almost got me wanting to try my hand at the style, too.

It's not yeast. That's a long disproven myth about the hazy style.

My body is quite sensitive to live yeast consumption, and the day after a few NE IPA's, I'm spending extra time in the bathroom. It's certainly not the hops keeping me in there. The beers are young, and unfiltered. There's lots of yeast still in there.

I think you misunderstood my post, though. I made no claim to yeast making the beer hazy. I didn't comment on the haze at all, actually. :mug:

No worries.

On another note, I just picked up all my stuff for FotD V.

I haven't heard of any other shipments still to be made, so as soon as @k1ngl1ves let's us know he received his, I'll announce the next round.

I haven't heard of any other shipments still to be made, so as soon as @k1ngl1ves let's us know he received his, I'll announce the next round.

I've sent him the tracking info and promise the box is not full of rocks. It is scheduled to be delivered on Saturday. Not to put him on the spot, but if he doesn't object, I would say go ahead with the next round.

In fact, I'm still waiting for my shipment from Round III and it didn't hold up Round IV. (the person shipping my offer has kept me well informed of the delays)

I've sent him the tracking info and promise the box is not full of rocks. It is scheduled to be delivered on Saturday. Not to put him on the spot, but if he doesn't object, I would say go ahead with the next round.

In fact, I'm still waiting for my shipment from Round III and it didn't hold up Round IV. (the person shipping my offer has kept me well informed of the delays)

Absolutely! Don't wait on me, guys! Start the next round! I'm in on at least the next round too!

:mug:

"V"... hmmm... What's the new pun gonna be? The Fellowship Strikes Bock? Lol!

Absolutely! Don't wait on me, guys! Start the next round! I'm in on at least the next round too!

:mug:

"V"... hmmm... What's the new pun gonna be? The Fellowship Strikes Bock? Lol!

You are close, and yours is really good. I may have to change it a wee bit, now.

Did not notice this was 9%+ until about halfway through... Really having a good time cooking champagne chicken for my wife! Whee!!! Got my oldest learning how to cook with me. I think she learned not to cook while kind of drunk! LOL!

At least the beer was reeeely good!!

Well, I meant to include a picture of Henhouse "Fowl Play" Malty Farmhouse Crowler, but mobile app + Pretty Buzzed = no picture.

Sorrry...

Last edited:
Ha! 🤣
That one's a sneaker!
Glad you liked it, their saisons are consistently excellent. And anyway, drunk cooking *can* yield excellent results. Especially if you're still drunk [emoji6]

I judge how good the drunk dinner was by what's left out on the counter in the morning...

Do you really remember what you cooked when drunk, or do you instead remember about the mess you cleaned up the next day?

I remember I forgot to saute the onions before deglazing the pan. I had my oldest daughter helping me cook. Risoto got just a little too dark as we toasted it. Still tasted good.

Brussels sprouts in the oven with balsamic vinegar drizzle afterwards. It was ok. Not sure I liked them more with the vinegar than without, but still pretty good.

I usually clean as I go if I have the time while cooking. But if I'm making a nice meal and there is a mess, I have 3 others in the house that can help out by doing dishes.

I was feeling pretty good until later that night when I went to bed. Tossed and turned a bit and ended up waking up really early. Felt kind of "blah" most of the day. I'm going to be sure to share the other big bottles with someone else.

Back