Feel like I’ve been ripped off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, my turn now.
I need a CO2 tank.
I pay for a new, full tank.
Later, it's empty, so I TRADE my empty for a full one.

So I came in with a tank, I left with a tank. That part was free.
I only paid for the CO2.
And the LHBS and I both have the same number of tanks as before!
1625024911652.png

OK, my turn now.
I need a CO2 tank.
I pay for a new, full tank.
Later, it's empty, so I TRADE my empty for a full one.

So I came in with a tank, I left with a tank. That part was free.
I only paid for the CO2.
And the LHBS and I both have the same number of tanks as before!View attachment 733999

but you still have the F250! and can impress your friends with it! even though you actually would probably beat it up just as much if you used it for actual work.....

I had this happen to me one time and learned how to avoid this going forward. What you are paying a premium for is for the tank recertification. They have to run tests on the bottle and valve to make sure it meets industry standards. The bottles are stamped with a date. Make sure the one you are bringing in doesn't have an expired date. Problem solved.

That's not cool. Please let us know what you find out.
Unfortunately that fee is normal here in Indiana... been paying it for years. Try pressure fermentation and natural keg carbonation! Fermzilla is a reasonably priced pressure fermenter that will allow you to utilize a spundimg valve to save some co2. Then rack onto priming sugar solution. You'll scrub O2 as well as save on carbonation.

Ok ok an f250 for an f250 that's rusted with the paint peeling off lol.
or, in a world where the gas stations are few and far between, swapping your f250 that you coasted in on fumes, for an f250 that has a full tank, the engine was tuned up, with all the fluids changed. Sure, maybe with a few dents or dings..

More like I bring my brand new f-250 power stroke in that I paid a good amount for and get a Fiat in a straight trade now they have my f-250 and my Fiat because I have to bring my fiat back in to be swapped because now it's branded and if I go with somebody else they will see it belongs to said place and won't fill it.

The better model would be what rhino does with their propane and just get a cylinder from them and just start exchanging.

That's how I see it if you feel differently more power to you.

Brew on!

That's not what happens at places in my area. I might get an ugly tank in exchange, but that ugly tank becomes MINE. I can swap it anywhere else I want, or sell it, or throw it away. Once the trade happens, it is no longer the property of the exchange place. It may have stickers on it saying where it was from, but stickers don't mean anything about ownership.

That's not what happens at places in my area. I might get an ugly tank in exchange, but that ugly tank becomes MINE. I can swap it anywhere else I want, or sell it, or throw it away. Once the trade happens, it is no longer the property of the exchange place. It may have stickers on it saying where it was from, but stickers don't mean anything about ownership.

That is the sitch in my neck of the woods.

I took my solo 10lb tank in for a refill at the local carbonics shop, the guy fills everybody's tanks on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Since i was willing to wait to get my decent looking steel tank back, while I was there I asked if they had any full tanks for sale.

...so now $80 (tank) + $20 (fill) = $100, I have a backup. Recertification stamp is 5/21. I can't complain.

OK, I'll try again.

Let's say I own a shop, and I have 10 tanks on the shelf, 9 homebrewers walk in without tanks and each need CO2. I give them a tank full of gas and only charge for the gas, not the tank. Now I only have 1 tank, but 9 are out in the general population, but I still have 10 tanks on my books. Now happy homebrewer #10 walks in with his nice new shiny tank and swaps it for my last tank and leaves his behind. Now I still have a tank, but have 10 in the general population (10+1=11). So now I have 11 tanks on the books.

The reality is that I was riped off of 10 tanks (if no one comes back), and only have a shiny empty one to look at :(

The major flaw in your reasoning is that I'm not aware of a single vendor that would loan you a tank for free. There are places that charge you a "deposit" and it says that on your receipt. There are places that charge you a rental fee (annual) for as long as you have any tank of theirs. There are places that sell you a tank to get in to their exchange program. The last one is how I do it because I'm not going to keep a database of what customers have my tanks and try to squeeze rental fees out of them or chase them down for loaner tanks. You buy the tank full. If you never come back, see ya.

At my shop you either buy a tank that's full and then swap it perpetually to get your gas or you bring me one of yours and swap that. There is no scenario in which my tank inventory increases unless I'm buying a pallet of new tanks. In fact, it's constantly decreasing to the tune of 300 tanks per year.

Attachments

• 20180823_112029.jpg
    20180823_112029.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I had this happen to me one time and learned how to avoid this going forward. What you are paying a premium for is for the tank recertification. They have to run tests on the bottle and valve to make sure it meets industry standards. The bottles are stamped with a date. Make sure the one you are bringing in doesn't have an expired date. Problem solved.

As a vendor that sells full tanks and swaps (for selling just the CO2), this was one of the hardest things to figure out. We pay $20 a tank for a hydro test (recertification) after that 5 year period. If we just eat that cost, people will just bring us their out of date tanks, crap they found on ebay, etc and we perpetually lose money. Of course you don't turn away business so we will still take those tanks and once we get about 25 that need testing, we farm that out to a facility that does it. The thing is, once you trade in an outside tank, the one you get in return has our name on it but we will never charge for an out of date tank ever again as long as our name is on it. That's a win win for everyone.

There really is no other way that works because we will have full tanks in inventory that are nearing recertification dates and it will expire before the customer brings it back. Can you imagine charging them for a out of date tank when we just swapped them into it a month ago?

I bought a used 20# years ago. Re-certify was about $30 in April. I have it filled at local welding supply for $36. No swapping and more gas for only $6 more than a 5#
I get my 20# refilled for $24. Since I swap I don't have to get them hydro tested. Fortunately no one ever complains about the CO2!

Can you imagine charging them for a out of date tank when we just swapped them into it a month ago?
I actually had a place attempt to do that to me, and they definitely don’t get good press from me.

I was in the same boat, I had a shiny perfect condition 5# tank I bought for $35 on Craigslist from some old man who made sparking water and had only filled it a couple times. One homebrew shop nearby only did exchanges, and of course they were all beat up tanks. Luckily I found another shop that did fills and $18 later I had a full tank.

Back