Feedback on Red Ale Recipe All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipC1ty

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm just hoping for some feedback on a recipe I came up with. I just want some feedback on my grains as this is my first Red and still new to brewing.

All-Grain (target 5 gallon)

10 lbs 2-row pale malt
1 lb De-husked Roast Malt
8oz Chocolate Malt.

It's pretty simple but am hoping for feedback on this. Thanks for the help.

I think that might be a little too much dark roasted malt. Typically, you would want to use a balance of caramel malts and a small amount of high roast malts to add a reddish hue.

I just brewed a red rye ale and my grain bill used:

10lb 2 row
1lb flaked rye
.5lb c40
.5lb c80
.25lb melanoiden malt (gives reddish hue)
.25lb Carafa II
2oz roasted barley

That came out to around 14 SRM which should be a reddish brown color, but I haven't taken a sample yet. But I think it's a good idea to use some caramel malts to give a more complex flavor and a bit of sweetness that is typical for the style.

That looks more like a porter or a stout recipe. Here's a simple grain bill for a traditional all grain red that has notes of caramel, toffee, and dark fruit but can also stand up to some solid bitterness (50-60IBU) and hop flavors:

11.00 lbs Pale 2-row
00.75 lbs Caramel 60L
00.50 lbs Special B

Alternatively I'm brewing a red ale that should have a minimal roast flavor in the background without the big toffee, caramel, dark fruit flavors from the unfermentables. The red ale I brewed is bittered to 45 IBU and has a good amount of late hop additions and will be dry hopped before packaging. Here's the grain bill:

11.00 lbs Pale 2-row
00.25 lbs Midnight Wheat

So would you recommend dropping the 1 lb Roast Malt and subbing it for like 60L Caramel Munich malt?

I agree @aprichman

That is not going to be red. I can guarantee you. That is how i would make a stout. And not a lighter stout, like a roast bomb stout.Both of the suggested grain bills would work well for a red ale IMO. The chocolate malt alone will push you past red.

I recently brewed an amber that came out pretty good.

10lbs pale malt
11oz special b
7.6oz flaked oats
60ish ibu's

Back