Feedback on my DIPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetwort-Hopkins

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm going to be kegging my latest DIPA tonight and I'd like to share the recipe with the community for any possible feedback/suggestions. The recipe is a slight variation of Avery's Maharaja.

Target OG 1.082
Target FG 1.021
Efficiency 69%
SRM 11.67
IBU 119.08

18# Irish Ale Malt
1# Victory
.5# Crystal 120L

--60min mash at 149F (10gal Igloo MLT)

@60 - 1.2oz Columbus
@30 - 1.2oz Columbus
@5 - 2.4oz Centennial
@5 - 2.4oz Mosaic
Dry - 2.4oz Centennial
Dry - 2.4oz Chinook
Dry - 4.8oz Mosaic

-- split boil on kitchen stove.
-- dry hops split into two additions; half on day 7, half on day 11.

1.5pks Safale US-05 rehydrated

I hit my target OG (assuming a 69% efficiency) of 1.082 and the batch made it's way into my newly fashioned fermentation fridge. With the temp set at 67F, I had action within 16hrs or so. It was a savage fermentation! On day 7, she had slowed down slightly but not completely. I took a gravity reading and it had already hit the target FG of 1.021. The beer tasted delicious before even adding any dry-hops. I've roused the carboy each day to sink a portion of the hop-mat. There is like 3+ inches of sludge at the bottom - Zoinks!!
Today is day 18 and she's completing a 24hr cold-crash before being kegged this evening. I can't wait to taste it again tonight and also see if the gravity came down at all. I'm expecting this brew to land at about 8.5%abv.

Any 'yays' or 'nays' on the recipe would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers:)

agreed with the crystal and adding sugar. I like 5-10% for IPAs. Closer to 10 for DIPAs. This would also help your FG from being too high. I wouldnt want any of my IPAs to finish close to 1.020. The drier the better IMO

I'd also move your 30min addition closer to the end and be sure to hopstand your 5min additions or just do them at flameout for the hopstand.

I would forget about the 30 min addition. Current research is a trend toward early or late additions. So if you're focused on using that Cenntenial, go ahead and just add it for the full 60. Or if you were wanting some aroma/flavor, bump it down to 15min.

Also, create a BIG starter and US-05 should get you below 1.020 (gag). Just to make sure it does, replace some of your malt bill with some sort of sugar such as LME/DME, Maltose Extract, Corn Sugar, or Table Sugar.

Good luck!

Holy cow right now! This beer came down to 1.014 - that's an 82% attenuation woohoooo!!
9.53%abv with the 'alternate' calculator on Brewersfriend.com.

I must admit, this batch had the best 'looking' fermentation I've ever seen.

About 4.5gals made it to the keg, surprisingly, considering the amount of sludge from the dry-hops.

Cheers you guys!! I'll write back once she's carbed and poured.

As for the Crystal, I definitely want the color. I cut back for this one compared to my previous batches - was getting mega-sweetness.

I haven't tasted the gravity sample yet because I'm waiting for a co-brewer to arrive. I'll leave a note on the un-carbed sample

Try adding color with honey malt or dark munich. Just a little bit will do. 1.014 is getting better. I use about 5% simple sugar, 3% c20 and the rest base malt. Mash at 148 with no mashout. Works great. Nice and dry.

This one finished pretty warm. I didn't get any residual sweetness like I have in the past. A lot of hoppy-goodness and a great scent from the malts but a bit too thin on the malt to back-up the booze.
I have it set at 20psi and will check it out in a couple days.
Hoping the carbonation will put this baby right where it needs to be.

I'm definitely going to consider Munich for the next DIPA.

Not sure if anyone on here has ever used Irish Ale Malt as a base malt but the stuff is delicious. I don't think many shops carry it.

Back