Feed grade barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobster101

Reaction score
Is it ok to use feed grade barley for brewing? It's not that I like to but it's the only thing available where I'm going as far as barley is concern.

If you can't get malted barley or malt your own, you might try taking along some amylase enzyme or use Beano in the mash.
I don't know if unmalted barley has to be boiled first to gelatinize the starch.

So you guys are telling me that malted feed grade barley can be good for brewing beer? The country where I'm going has no problems on other grains, mostly organic too :D except for barley... animal feeds only :( which is a pain in the ass.

So you guys are telling me that malted feed grade barley can be good for brewing beer? . . . . . .

Why not, as long as it hasn't been treated in any way, you may have problems with clarity and may have to increase your grain bill due to the inferior product, but it will make beer, they been doing it for eons.

Keep on brewing my friend:mug:

Feed-grade barley tends to be higher in protein, but it will work. If you have to malt it yourself, then plan on longer mash times.

Back