FB-Perforated stainless sheet(hole size?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

left field brewer

Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing some perforated st. sheet for making a false bottom. I am using a keg with bottom drain(no direct heat) and will plan on recirc through exchanger in HLT to maintain temps. I am not sure of the best hole size and on center spacing to provide the optimum open area to keep bed from compacting. The place I was looking was Small Parts, Inc., but if someone knows of better prices point me in that direction. I was also debating on whether to weld in place, since I'll drain from the bottom. Opinions? Thanks.

Welding in place is great till you decide you don't like a false bottom anymore or that the one you have isn't right. I think I'd pass on the welding idea.

don't weld it in. Stuff gets under it and you'll want to clean it out.

not sure where to get the raw materials, but lots of folks sell ones for keggles that rest on the domed bottom.

I like the
S/S 304 Perforated Sheet 26 Gauge .0312" Thick 132 Hole Per In 1/16" Hole x 12" Wide

but 26 gauge is probably too thin.

Here: onlinemetals.com has:

Dimension Name Value
Thickness 0.06" (that's about 1/16th of an inch thick or 16gauge)
Hole Size 0.09375" (3/32")
Stagger 0.15625"
Open Area 33%

$30ish.

Two ways to hold it down. Tack weld some stainless machine screws to the bottom of the keg so that they stick up through the FB, then apply acorn nuts. You might also run a nipple up through your bottom drain into a large hole in the FB and put a pipe cap on to hold it down. Drill a few holes in the bottom of the nipple to let wort in.

Thanks for the input. I can see not welding because it may not work exactly as planned but if crap got under it I could rinse it out the bottom drain.Prob will end up having screws tack welded in place for attachment of the FB. Thanks again.

Back