Favorite Yeast for a Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGrieves

Reaction score
I'm working up a recipe for an ordinary bitter to brew next weekend and wondering what yeast people suggest.

I'd like to try the West Yorkshire yeast but unfortunately it isn't available. In the past I've used the Fuller yeasts for a couple Milds. While I love the flavor profile I've gotten from it, I am a bottle, and the weird cottage cheese clumps it flocs into are kind of unappealing.

What do people think? Should I stick with Fullers (WLP002)? Any suggestions?

I have used wyeast 1098 for it, and I don't know how true it is to style, but it makes an absolutely delicious ale.

I have used White Labs' Burton Ale Yeast for a few brews now and really like it. Very good flavor and gets to work quickly.

I tend to use Wyeast 1968 (WLP002) for most of my bitters, I love the profile I get when fermented in the mid 60s+ and it clears amazingly well, you can almost hear the thud as the yeast drops out of the beer when it is finished!

I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to brew English bitters to go out and get/order a few packs of wy1882 Thames Valley II before the end of the month. Along with 1318 and 1968, it might just be my favorite English yeast.

I brew a lot of bitters and have always used 1968 around as my house strain, but I'm thinking of revising that after a recent brew. Thanks to a shipping mistake and my impatience, I ended up brewing an ESB with Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale). Wow! Really interesting ester profile and absolutely delicious. I will be conducting some side by side 2.5 gallon ordinary bitter comparison batches to see if I want to switch. I highly recommend the 1084 for something different.

If you're getting "cottage cheese clumps" in your bottles, you're bottling WAY too early.

If you're getting "cottage cheese clumps" in your bottles, you're bottling WAY too early.

I think it floc'd out all the way actually. I think the problem was that when I racked to the bottling bucket I was being cheap and trying to get every last drop and I pulled a lot of yeast in trying to get that last beer.

Latest posts

Back