Favorite thermometer and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krelin

Reaction score
I want to buy a good digital candy thermometer and would love to hear some recommendations.

Thanks

There can be only one.

I used to have an old-fashioned glass candy thermometer. Until it exploded into a pot full of bubbling sugar. Then I got the Thermapen...I use it for everything in the kitchen, all my brewing needs, etc. Super fast and super accurate.

Wow, that looks awesome, but pricey. Any recommendations in the $20-30 range?

There are some reviews on amazon of people complaining about those ProAccurate thermometers dying on them... any of you had that happen brewing?

I have used a number of different thermometers and have to say the thermapen is my favorite by far...it is awfully expensive for what it is but I highly recommend it.

I've had a ProAccurate since around September last year and It's performed extremely well. The display had been a bit wonky for a couple of brew sessions. I think it's because I'd been clipping it to the side of my BK for the last 15 minutes of the boil and the steam had penetrated somehow. I quit doing that and it seems better. IMO, excellent bang for the buck.

Duckfoot: How fast does that Extech one give you a readout? I <3 Fry's

+2

I like the Thermapen because it is obviously the creme of the crop. But I love the price of the Frys one better. Would like to know if anyone who is using can answer how long it takes for the readout and if they have had any issues thus far.

Back