Favorite Octoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had Avery's "The Kaiser" at a beer dinner a few nights ago. While not a traditional Marzen (10% ABV), it was very, very good.

This years Rahr Oktoberfest was amazing, for you in the area. We did a mini keg of the Hofbrau and killed it in an afternoon. Those of you who didnt like this year's Sam are definitely not alone - they changed it again, for the worse. Pretty sure it was the last time I buy any BBC.

I tried the Hofbrau out of the bottle. It was not good. Green bottles really destroyed it.

Rahr? Really? I tried it at the Gingerman here in FTW and it was foul. Maybe it was a bad keg.

Not my favorite oktoberfest (it tasted more like a helles) but I enjoyed it.

D7K_3351.jpg

Anyone have any New Belgium Hoptoberfest? I'm headed for Myrtle Beach this weekend and it is Octoberfest weekend. Lucky me! Looking to try a few and enjoy the weekend.

Anyone have any New Belgium Hoptoberfest? I'm headed for Myrtle Beach this weekend and it is Octoberfest weekend. Lucky me! Looking to try a few and enjoy the weekend.

I believe its just called hoptober...and yeah, its pretty nice. Aroma is great, not alot of bitterness but a good beer overall and not to malty..Has some nice citrus notes as well

Had a Karl Strauss oktoberfest a few years back at California adventure park in Disneyland. That was the best Okt I've ever had. I don't know if it had anything to do with being in Disneyland and drinking a beer overlooking the water at paradise pier or not :)

Had a Karl Strauss oktoberfest a few years back at California adventure park in Disneyland. That was the best Okt I've ever had. I don't know if it had anything to do with being in Disneyland and drinking a beer overlooking the water at paradise pier or not :)

I LOVE the KS Octoberfest. It's not a style I'm a huge fan of (not much a Lager drinker at all, actually, but I don't discriminate) usually, but this one is great. Rock bottom is another commercial-ish small batch brewpub (Like Karls) near me in San Diego, and they make a "Rocktoberfest" that is excellent as well. A new fave.

These observations make me think maybe I'm not a big fan of the style, as I'm going to guess that these two varieties aren't "to style" or even anywhere close. I am obviously not a BJCP judge, of course.

They are damn tasty beers though: I make it a point to get a pint at both joints.

Had the Paulaner Wiesn (bought w/ the HUGE mug) really nice- but I do prefer a Marzen style beer for Oktoberfest. The Hacker is really nice, a real toothy sugary thing when it warms up. Looking for the Ayinger, probably my favorite brewery in the world. I will stay away from the Sam Adema, Looniekugels, etc...

The Paulaner Weisn is the only actual Oktoberfest (served at Oktoberfest) beer you can get in the US. As for amber Maerzen type things, everything is a close second to Ayinger for me.

I've sampled several american versions this year. so far Magic Hat 'ourtoberfest' has been my favorite.

I can only remember two... both were pretty good.

Most recent was Newport Storm Regenschauer Oktoberfest on draft. I thought it was pretty good, smelling of honey.

I've also had the Gorden Biersch Märzen, which is also good.

Both were very sweet...

Gordon Biersch? Really? OK, to each his own, but I am surprised that a brewery chain that does not mash, that only uses extracts to brew, could produce a 'great' beer- (no offense intended to the numerous homebrewers that use extract- I was one for years)

Where'd you get the idea that GB brewed with extracts? I've heard dan Gordon talk on the brewing network several times and I would swear that he didn't say anything about using extracts. The biggest thing that stood out was how rigorous they were in staying loyal to the reinheitsgebot. To the point of producing their own lactic acid from lacto present on their pils malt, in order to adjust mash ph with a ingredient that wouldnt violate the reinheitsgebot...

Dan Gordon was trained at Weihenstephan, their page for Marzen lists imported malt as an ingredient, they also brew in my home town. Their technical skill isn't really up for question, and I'm really amused that people think they use extract to brew. On the other hand, their beers aren't very exciting at least to my palate.

Gordon Biersch? Really? OK, to each his own, but I am surprised that a brewery chain that does not mash, that only uses extracts to brew, could produce a 'great' beer- (no offense intended to the numerous homebrewers that use extract- I was one for years)

yes, Gordon Biersch. Really.

i don't care if the beer was extract, it was a really good beer. don't be a jackass

rycov- Why call me a jackass for expressing my opinion, without having directed any insults at anyone? Anyhow, I was watching a tv program during the past month or so that was about a brewer at GB, and it showed him brewing- with extracts. Maybe I'm wrong? But my opinion (just an opinion, mind you, which both you and I and every other person has for their own) is that GB beers are not 'great' - Like I said, 'to each his own'

Edit: additionally, it should be understood clearly that communication via text on a computer inadequately conveys tone, feeling and often times intent. Look, friends, if we were all sitting by the fire, enjoying a few, we could much more easily have this conversation without any feathers getting ruffled-

I have to concur, most Gordon Biersch brews are pretty boring. However, I recently had the Czech Pils from a bottle and it was very good. It had that same soft-peaks-egg-whites head that every GB seems to have....

rycov- Why call me a jackass for expressing my opinion, without having directed any insults at anyone? Anyhow, I was watching a tv program during the past month or so that was about a brewer at GB, and it showed him brewing- with extracts. Maybe I'm wrong? But my opinion (just an opinion, mind you, which both you and I and every other person has for their own) is that GB beers are not 'great' - Like I said, 'to each his own'

Edit: additionally, it should be understood clearly that communication via text on a computer inadequately conveys tone, feeling and often times intent. Look, friends, if we were all sitting by the fire, enjoying a few, we could much more easily have this conversation without any feathers getting ruffled-

You're right. It's in no way jackassery to tell people that extract beers are bad when so many people use them and make good beers. He should have included the obligatory no offense at the end of his post.

Ayinger Oktoberfest last night at Tyler's in Durham. Wow, great stuff. Malty, but not sweet. This stuff is the real deal.

1317948947540.jpg

I tried the Hofbrau out of the bottle. It was not good. Green bottles really destroyed it.

Rahr? Really? I tried it at the Gingerman here in FTW and it was foul. Maybe it was a bad keg.

We got our first taste at Flying Saucer on the lake for glass night, really nice Ofest mugs from Rahr this year that double as coffee mugs in our house. We were pretty impressed with it then, but drinking beers on that nice patio always makes things better. So we bought another sixer in bottles and loved it.

As a side note, Rahr is using different bottles for the Ofest beer that you cant re-cap with a wing capper. The rest of their bottles worked fine in our last batch. Weird.

Not my favorite oktoberfest (it tasted more like a helles) but I enjoyed it.

I'm pretty sure that, traditionally, an Oktoberrfest can be more like a Helles. We think of the style as being a marzen, but that a lighter, slightly hoppier version is technically "correct" as well. The Hofbrau I guess is in that vein, although when I've had it, it was so skunked it might as well have been a Heinekin.

I'm pretty sure that, traditionally, an Oktoberrfest can be more like a Helles. We think of the style as being a marzen, but that a lighter, slightly hoppier version is technically "correct" as well. The Hofbrau I guess is in that vein, although when I've had it, it was so skunked it might as well have been a Heinekin.

Yeah, when I think of an "oktoberfest-style" beer I think Maerzen, but I know the hofbrau wiesn bier is served at oktoberfest. I think it is falls under the more general term "festbier".

After trying many of everyone suggestions, I found Flying Dog to be the tastiest for my palate!

Back