Favorite Octoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. Starting to get into Octoberfests and just trying to get a starting point for good/great. Thanks!

Ayinger, Paulaner, and Sam Adams are my three favorite commercial varieties that I've tried. Didn't care for Spaten or Hacker-Schorr (sp?) when I had them - drinkable but nothing special IMO. The BCS recipe is a winner and have bottles of the others I haven't touched due to me liking my own so much.

I just had Abita Fall Fest (Octoberfest) a week ago and think it is my favorite. It slightly sweet up front with a very balanced finished and has clean, full, nuanced malt character.

Weihenstephaner is good, but I like Paulaner better. A few years ago, I got a couple cases of Erdinger Oktoberfest. It was amazing.

I can't find a description in BJCP. What should I be looking for in characteristics?

The New Glarus Staghorn is really good, and I just had Millstream's Octoberfest, which was excellent. The Millstream might be a little heavy for the style, but it's quite good.

Yep, I'm an idiot - looking for it under ales. Ugh.....

Thank you!

MMM. all of them! its one of my favorite styles. unless some one really frogged it up, they're all good.

Ayinger, and spaten are my favorite. Both are better than this years Sam Adams offering. Last year I remember it being better

Honestly, I can't tell the difference between Hacker-Pschorr, Paulaner, and some other german ones.

Argh, I WISH I could remember, but I had one last fall and it came from a brewery that was actually in Marzen. I had it on draft here in the U.S. But didn't think to write down the name. Google is no help. Any HBT'ers know if a good one from Marzen?

JonM said:
Argh, I WISH I could remember, but I had one last fall and it came from a brewery that was actually in Marzen. I had it on draft here in the U.S. But didn't think to write down the name. Google is no help. Any HBT'ers know if a good one from Marzen?

There's a city called Marzen? Huh. Where abouts? The beer is called Märzen because it was traditionally brewed in March (at least, that was my understanding).

I really like Augustiner, the Sam Adams this year was pretty poor. Out of the ones available here I prefer Paulaner and Ayinger over Hacker-Pschorr or Spaten.

MalFet said:
There's a city called Marzen? Huh. Where abouts? The beer is called Märzen because it was traditionally brewed in March (at least, that was my understanding).

I guess so. I just google mapped it an there's something called Marzen-burg just south of Leipzig.

I might have misunderstood the bartender though. I was a little toasted that night.

Out of the 4-6 i tried,i liked my local canned oktoberfest from River City Brewing of the rest.Gonna try a 3 floyds version soon though.Havent experienced many though but of the ones ive tried,it was metallic this and metallic that.

The New Glarus Staghorn is really good, and I just had Millstream's Octoberfest, which was excellent. The Millstream might be a little heavy for the style, but it's quite good.

Have to try both, did you go to Wis. or do a trade for the New Glarus?:mug:

Something is up with the Sam Adams bottles this year. I've had some from a 12 pack, and some from a bar and they all where over carbed and tasted really thin compared to the draft of it I also had.

Of the ones I've had this year, I liked Hofbräu's best.

I have to agree with the Hofbrau. Got a 5 liter keg last year and was rather taken aback. hmmm... Come to think of it, I've had a number of fine Octoberfests this year, but haven't had any Hofbrau; mental note taken...

Something is up with the Sam Adams bottles this year. I've had some from a 12 pack, and some from a bar and they all where over carbed and tasted really thin compared to the draft of it I also had.

I completely agree with you. I Love the Sam Octoberfest. My biggest issue is I live by if ain't broke don't fix it. Having said that I buy nothing but SA Octoberfest year after year because I real enjoy it. This years batch i've tasted however seems like it is Octoberfest Light.

This is great thread. I'm looking forward to trying some of the recommendations here if I can find them cause the Sam Adams needs fixin'.

Just had Berkshire Brewing Company's Octoberfest. I think it just may take the top spot.

Your in NY...go get some Blue Point Oktoberfest. You will not be disappointed.

wheels4 said:
Your in NY...go get some Blue Point Oktoberfest. You will not be disappointed.

I agree. I find most of blue point's beers to be fairly meh, but I had one of these last year and I remember it being quite nice.

Paulaner, Stoudts 2011 version (2010 version was way overhopped but I liked it anyway), Sly Fox, Sam Adams

This years Rahr Oktoberfest was amazing, for you in the area. We did a mini keg of the Hofbrau and killed it in an afternoon. Those of you who didnt like this year's Sam are definitely not alone - they changed it again, for the worse. Pretty sure it was the last time I buy any BBC.

Just had Berkshire Brewing Company's Octoberfest. I think it just may take the top spot.

I agree re: Berkshire Oktoberfest. But I bet it's not very widely available. I know I took the last bottle from the store that carried it last week.

I need to greatly widen my Oktoberfest sampling this year. Not too many authentic ones that I've tried (if any).

1) Summit Oktoberfest - pretty strong and actually has some good flavor to it, while also being pretty drinkable. Me likey
2) Schells Oktoberfest - More malt and bread with a sweet finish. Not much for hops here
3) Sam Adams Oktoberfest - merely okay
4) Leinenkugel Oktoberfest - pretty bland

I generally like the Sam Adams variety. Of the commercial ones in my area, I'd say it's the best.

I had the misfortune of trying the Leinenkugel yesterday at my parents house and it was all I could do to drink it without complaining. I'd stay away from that one. Adding caramel color to a Lager does not an oktoberfest make.

If you are in WI, there are 2 epic examples of Octoberfest.

1.) New Glarus Staghorn Octoberfest. Simply awesome!
2. And by far the best, most perfectly balanced example I've tasted....lakefront brewery's Octoberfest.

Our last club meeting was tasting 13 different Octoberfest's, many of which were mentioned already, and our table agreed that lakefront's was the best.

Back