Favorite Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanofreak

Reaction score
I see a lot of places with recipe kits. You know the ones I am talking about, and many of us have brewed them. Out of all the kits you tried, what was your favorite? I don't care about the style or vendor, I am just looking to try something new and looking for some suggestions.

Have any favorite extract kits? What is it, and where did you get it? prefer from somewhere online so I can check it out myself. Looking to pickup a few over the next week or so.

I'd recommend Northern Brewer's American Amber. It's a damn tasty kit.

I'll also go out on a limb and recommend the NB's St. Paul Porter. It's still fermenting at the moment, but I could easily drink it as green as it is. So I'm relatively certain it's going to be one hell of a finished product.

Northern Brewer seems to have very solid kits...

Cream Ale (partial mash with 1 Lb 2 Row if you do the Extract version)

Imperial Stout is excellent as is

Bavarian Wheat + 1LB Caramel 20L malt steeped

Nut Brown is tasty also

I get most of my kits from my LHBS. The kits I've purchased on-line were all from Austin Hombrew Supply. My favorites have been their Red Wheat and American Wheat. I also recently brewed a Belgian Noel from them but I don't plan on opening them until Christmas time. It tasted fantastic when I bottled it so I am anticipating a great holiday beer. All of these kits were the partial-mash version.

Northern Brewer - Dry Irish Stout.

You may want to go to Northern Brewer's website and read up on the different kits, customers post reviews on different one. I looked at the ones with the most reviews to narrow down which I would try first.

Cheers

My favorite kit so far is a whit bier kit from my LHBS. Second would be the Edelweiss Kristallklar Weissbier from Austin home brew supply.

Austin homebrew has the best kits I've brewed. The few that stand out where the Double Chocolate Stout, the London Porter and the Bavarian Hefeweizen. Although these stick in my memory I really liked all the recipes from AHS.

Midwest - Ferocious IPA

Its a clone of surly furious. I've never had the original so I don't know how it compares, but this a d@mn fine beer - and that was just the extract.

jason

Back