Favorite Commercial Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite right now is this year's Sierra Nevada Anniversary. Something about it really does it for me. I'm also a huge, huge fan of Blue Point Hoptical Illusion... I had it on tap at a beer fest a few weeks ago, and I swear they changed the recipe, because it's better than ever.

DFH60 is my favorite of beers I didn't brew myself. I found a place near me that has Quizzo on Tuesday nights and DFH60 on tap - tough to beat that combination. From among the big brewers, I will always take a Yeungling's lager if offered (but growing up in Philly, you go off mother's milk and onto Yeungling's, so it's a natural choice). There's a reason why you only have to order a lager to get a Yeungling's if you are at a bar in Philly.

Noche Buena! the dark Mexican christmas beer. Sad thing for me though is it's no longer available in the U.S. BUMMER!!!!
Hence my reason for starting to brew my own beer.
As for domestic canned brews I buy what I can afford mainly Miller High Life,
I've drunk just about every canned brew that has been on the market in my time, as to the domestic canned stuff I do kinda miss Schlitz.
Oh well I'm weird I guess LOL

Cheers
Mongo

My favorite breweries, for their consistent quality and their ability to meet my own personal biases:
Georgetown Brewing (Seattle)
Deschutes
Russian River
Jolly Pumpkin
New Belgium

Favorite beers:
Georgetown's Roger's Pilsner, their 9 lb Porter, and their Manny's Pale Ale
Mac n Jack's African Amber
Russian River Salvation and Damnation
Ommegang's Three Philosophers
Deschutes' The Dissident and their Black Butte XX (also like their buzzsaw brown and their ESB)
Caledonian Deuchars IPA (cask)

Smithwick's Irish Ale
Smuttynose Old Brown Dog
Wachusetts Country Ale
Harpoon Original Ale

But generally when I buy beer I look for something I haven't had before.

Rogue's Shakespeare Stout, Brutal Bitter, Imperial Stout, Old Crusty, Brewer Strong Ale. Deschutes: Abyss, Jubeale, Mirror Mirror. Ommegang: Hennipin, Three Philosophers. Ninkasi: Total Domination IPA. Big Sky:Moose Drool Brown (the brown that made me like browns). Anchor: Steam beer...to name a few of my favorites.

Not a fan of mass marketed beers, but the Bud American Ale is drinkable.

This year I discovered a few breweries for the first time:

Brooklyn Brewery - I love their Local 1 and their lager is good as well
Weyerbacher - their Octoberfest was the best I had this year, and I like their Imperial Stout
Allagash - Love their Belgian White
Sweetwater Brewery - I live in Atlanta so I really love this brewery. Their Sweetwater 420 is excellent and I like their Blueberry as well
Victory - I enjoy their Prima Pils

Happy New Year........... I hope to find more good brews in 2009

Yeungling is freaking awesome.
Recently had New Castle, not impressed but had a Boulevard Pale Ale freaking great.
Red Hook Long Hammer IPA and ESB are very good.
Fat Tire is fairly good.
Anything by Sam Adams is solid.

Recently had New Castle, not impressed but had a Boulevard Pale Ale freaking great.
Fat Tire is fairly good.

If the Newcastle was in bottles try to find it in cans. A much better beer that way

I'm always buying Dogfish 60 minute, Anchor Steam and Porter, Bluepoint Toasted Lager (in the summertime, a great bbq beer), Duvel, Troegs (just had some of the Scratch Saison = AWESOME!!) a local bodega has been getting various Two Bros. in!

I'm also able to get growlers of various Sixpoint, Captain Larry and Kelso. aaahhh!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Sam Adams, Guinness (Tap >> Can >>>>> bottle), and most German Lagers (Spaten is one of my favorites).

Lost Coast Downtown Brown
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Brown , Celebration
North Coast Brewing Red Seal
Becks
Red Tail Ale
Anything Samuel Smiths, just tried these a few weeks ago...Tasty
my BMC would probably be Big Mouth Mickey's(Not sure if that is considered BMC)

But I think my all time favorite would be a Black & Tan, Guiness and Bass Pale Ale

Fat Tire is fairly good.

100% Agree with Yuengling being awesome. I initially tried it when I went out to school in the East Coast and originally thought it was a Chinese Import beer...

Really sucks that we don't have it out here in SoCal :(

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is my "house" beer. When I know I'm just going to pound a sh*t load of beers, PBR is my fave.

St-ambroise Oatmeal stout, pale ale and vintage ale (I have one 2006 and 13 2007 left :) )
Dieu du ciel! Peché mortel (Imperial coffee stout), Corne du Diable (American IPA)
Trois-Mousquetaires Baltic porter, Sticke alt, Noire Méduse (Schwarzbier), Porthos (Doppelbock), Imperial Weizen (most of them are seasonal, but I drank a lot of these lately)
Fuller's London pride
Guinness
Eggenberg Samichlaus Bier

Unfortunately, I can't get ANY american craft beer... f:mad:ckin' government...

Three Floyd's Dark Lord Imperial Stout - hell just about any of their stouts will do, Peche Mortel and Founder's Breakfast Stout.

What started it all for me, being a clevelander, was Great Lakes Dortmunder Of course. GL makes plenty of other good beers: Burning river, Christmas ale, Holy moses. They also make several seasonals only available at the brewery. Also a huge fan of Southern tier (IPA in particular). Brooklyn is also a staple in my diet, another excellent IPA.

So many beers, so little time.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Avery's IPA, Guinness Stout, Paulaner Salvatore Doppelbock, New Belgium Trippel sometimes.

Two recommendations if you find yourself in Texas--Full Moon Pale Rye Ale by Real Ale Brewing Co. is available at package stores and some supermarkets. And in the small but crowded town of Fredericksburg, fergoshsakes don't miss a glass or three of Hoppy Holidaze on tap at Fredericksburg Brewing Company.

I recently tried Kostrizer Black Lager, It was excellent, it reminded me of Becks Dark. If anyone knows an extract kit thats simular to these two let me know!!! On the lighter side, Dog Fish Head 60 min. IPA and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

It's so hard to pick a single love - it really depends on my mood.

That said, I'll base this on the "standbys" I keep in the fridge:
Ommegang's Hennepin and Three Philosophers.
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Great Lakes Brewing Company Nosferatu
Just about anything I can ever find from Shmaltz (I've been aging a Jewbelation 11 for almost a year now and it keeps talking to me every time I open the fridge. Wish I could still find a Bittersweet Lenny's RIPA somewhere.)

I'm considering adding Founder's Breakfast Stout to the list. Not quite a full blown love affair yet. On tap the coffee flavor seems to overpower everything, while I have found the bottles to be better balanced in comparison.

Love me some Blue Moon. Tried out "Shock Top" by Michelob last night, which is a pretty nice Wit, non-filtered etc. Guiness is good too!!!!

Primary commercial drinking beer: Pocono Pale Ale from The Lion Brewery in Wilkes Barre, PA - can be had for under $25 / case and it's good.

When I have the money: Guinness Draft or Extra Stout

When I'm at a restaurant: Sam Adams White Ale on tap only

I wasn't nearly as motivated to brew again after finding Pocono Pale Ale...

My favorites:

Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale
Bridgeport Blue Heron Pale Ale
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Widmer Hefeweizen
McMenamin's Terminator Stout

I guess I lean toward pretty local brews, Oregon is a good state for that :rockin:

What started it all for me, being a clevelander, was Great Lakes Dortmunder Of course. GL makes plenty of other good beers: Burning river, Christmas ale, Holy moses. They also make several seasonals only available at the brewery. Also a huge fan of Southern tier (IPA in particular). Brooklyn is also a staple in my diet, another excellent IPA.

I second all of that. Its great living in Columbus and being able to go into a gas station and pickup an awesome brew from GL. We are so spoiled!
I love all of Southern Tier's high gravity Imperial brews they have been releasing.

Blue Moon's always my go-to for bars that have a small selection. But when I can actually go shop for some bottles: Rogue Dead Guy, Ommegang Hennepin, Okocim Pale, anything from Three Floyds, Delirium Tremens, etc.

I like Belgian pale ales; usual suspects, Delerium Tremens, La Chouffe, etc.

lately i have been sipping on Ricochet Red at a local brewpub, Buffalo Bill's. Highly recommended if you are in the Bay Area, they sell 64oz bottles for $11, and refill for $7, or you can pony up to the bar and be social.

Long Trail Ale, and especially their Double Bag when I can get them. I really am starting to like Founders beers, especially Red's Rye. Harpoon Winter Warmer is awesome. Avery makes great beer. Sam Adams Boston Ale and lager. As an Ohian, I have to mention Great Lakes. Burning River is one of my go to beers, but Elliot Ness is great, as well. Warsteiner Dunkel is on tap at our local pizzeria, and that is pretty freakin' awesome too.

I second all of that. Its great living in Columbus and being able to go into a gas station and pickup an awesome brew from GL. We are so spoiled!
I love all of Southern Tier's high gravity Imperial brews they have been releasing.

We don't get the GL beers here but my wife is from Ohio (between Cleveland and Toledo) and I make sure to pick up some GL everytime we visit the in-laws. Great beer. Never had one of their beers I didn't like. The brewery pub is a nice little place too.
Just finished up my pack of Christmas ale last week. Good stuff.

Until the last year or so, I didn't know what good beer was. Blame that on the beer desert I live in I guess.

Since then I've taken a real liking to Boulevard's Pale Ale and Unfiltered Wheat, a couple Sam Adams (especially the Black Lager and Honey Porter), and several of the Schlafly offerings (Hefe, Pale Ale, and their Christmas Ale). I also like a few of the Goose Island varieties.

Good beer is what led me into homebrewing. When I couldn't fill my kegerator with anything but BMC stuff I got frustrated.

Back