Favorite Commercial Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until the last year or so, I didn't know what good beer was. Blame that on the beer desert I live in I guess.

Since then I've taken a real liking to Boulevard's Pale Ale and Unfiltered Wheat, a couple Sam Adams (especially the Black Lager and Honey Porter), and several of the Schlafly offerings (Hefe, Pale Ale, and their Christmas Ale). I also like a few of the Goose Island varieties.

Good beer is what led me into homebrewing. When I couldn't fill my kegerator with anything but BMC stuff I got frustrated.

I also enjoy Sam's Black Lager. I wish we could get more than just the Boston Lager here in Canada.
I always stock up on the Sam Adams when I visit the in-laws in Ohio.

Where to begin.... I love pretty much everything from Weyerbacher. Old Heathen is outstanding. Rouge Dead Guy Ale, Victory Storm King, Troeggs (love Mad Elf), Legend's Chocolate Porter, Brooklyn Brown, Lefthand - Oktoberfest, Ten-Fidy, Old Chub, etc. etc. If it's microbrew, I'll probably like it.

I usually don't reply to these threads, but since I'm druck on it - what the hay! Sweetwater's IPA is something to behold!

I had some Sweetwater Hummer (they called it Summer Hummer then) a few years ago in Helen, GA. That was some good stuff. Too bad I can't get any of their stuff around here :mad:

Went to The Biergarden and tried some new beers.

Magic Hat #9-surprisingly I've never tried this. Love the apricot finish.

Tommyknocker Butt Head Bock-actually a double bock..very good..very strong

Bells 2 Hearted Ale - great hop flavor, obviously some enormous additions

Left Hand Milk Stout - just great

North Coast Acme Pale Ale - titled as an IPA with Honey to help it go down smooth, and let me tell you, it sure does. I wouldn't classify it as an IPA tho.

Haven't been here in a while but have been lurking lately and han to chime in here as one of my favorite summer beers hasn't been mention'd. Excuss yyping. I'm at my wii taking.... ahhh... hydrometer...ya that's it, hydrometer samples from my cider while procrastinating cleaning bottle cleaning mess;)

Lagunita's chec style pilsner. Perfect beer after doing work out in the heat. Refreshing yet still nice malty flaver and a nice easy bitterness hop flaver that isn't overpowering. Great brew.

Oh, on other that another post brought to mind. Founders centenial IPA. Nice malt character compared to most ipa's.

Ugh, ok back to cleaning
-John

All time favorite is probably Boundary Bay IPA. Truly one of the best beers- if not the best i have ever had. And I've tasted hundreds and hundreds of beers. Russian River's Pliny the Elder is perhaps my second favorite. I also really love Pyramid Snow Cap, Mendocino Red Tail ale, Stone IPA and Sierra Nevada Celebration. I'll leave it at that - but I could probably list 20 or 30 beers that I really really love.

Anything from Christian Moerlein (cincinnati craft)
Sam Adams Definitly!!
Seirra Nevada

I tried a Magic Hat 9 the other day and wasn't impressed. I had no idea what to expect though, and I think my tastebuds were waiting for something stronger. In hindsight I think I'd better try it again and see how it tastes when I'm expecting a lighter beer. There was def a fruity element in there that was pleasing.

Maybe the problem was that I was eating BW3 food with it, and it was probably covering up the flavor a bit. on a side note, BW3 was a bit underwhelming. My favorite part was the trivia games being played on the television monitors.

Chimay (red), Murphys, Pliny the Elder, Stone IPA and Ruination, anything from Avery, Hazed and Infused, Longhammer IPA (for saving a buck)

I love me some Russian River. Did you know that they are owned by Korbel? That's what I have heard at least...

I tried a Magic Hat 9 the other day and wasn't impressed.

I can't stand #9. Lots of people love it, but the fruit aroma really puts me off. It's almost perfume-like, not at all like the natural fruity aromas of hops and yeast. Can't stand their Circus Boy hefe, either; just tastes like yellow seltzer to me.

They do make a hoppy red for winter that I think is really, really good: Roxy Rolles. Had it in bottles a few times, and on tap this weekend. It's great in both contexts. Plenty of sweet, toasty caramel malt and lots of what tasted (and smelled!) like Centennial punching through. Good stuff.

Hmmmm....most unibroue products. (favourite changes from time to time)
most beers brewed by Dieu du Ciel in Montreal...
Sometimes I'm really in the mood for a good Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout.
Chimay Red....
Hacker Pschorr, Erdinger Dunkel....a bunch more I can't really think of right now.

Roxy Rolles is the only Magic Hat that I have actually liked and purchased a second time! It's good stuff! This is after buying at least 2 of their mixed 12 packs. I can't help but get mesmerized by their flashy packaging and buy it, regardless of their mediocrity. Ooh shiny!

roxy rolles is really the only magic hat i really liked. some others are halfway decent but nothing worth mentioning. ive been finding out a lot of southern tier beers are good, mostly there big beers. stone is a great brewery, ruination, bitter chocolate oatmeal stout. flying dog is another good one, gonzo imperial porter. belgians- delirium, unibroue, ommnegang, wychwood

One of these days I will make it out west, try a Pliny, and then this hophead can die fully content. Until then, I'll fill up on the awesome east coast brews and homebrew :drunk:

Its tough for me to convince myself mentally to buy beer anymore since I get more than I or my liver needs for free but within what I get from work my favorites are:

Munich Dark- Our most award winning style that NO one has heard of
Glacier Harvest- Our only recurring 100 Barrel Series using fresh hops from the finger lakes
IPA and UFO- When I'm at the bars, this is always one of my first beers, such a great mainstay to start (and finish!) an evening.

Taking my work hat off I love:
Anything from Ommegang, especially Hennepin and Omegeddon
Cape Ann Brewing Company's Pumpkin Stout and Boston Tea Party Barleywine
Eel River Brewing's Porter...I got this from a friend at work and it was phenominal!

Firestone Walker make great beers. Very clean and tasty. They know what they are doing. That's my go-to sixer if I find myself at the grocery and thirsty.

I can't say i love any macro brews, but drink Miller Lite when I have to.

I am a hophead, so anything with 60+ibu and dryhopped i am pretty much a fan of. Some of my fave are (in no order) southern tier hop sun, bear republic racer #5, southern tier uber sun, southern tier unearthly IPA, fat tire, gumball head, bear republic hop hot rye ipa, sierra nevada celebration, breckenridge autumn ale, boston beer works watermelon ale, coronado islander pale ale.... i could go on and on....

Anyone had some of the Deschutes Bond Street series? I had two last night and they where tasty. A hop trip fresh hop ale and the hop henge IPA. The Hop Henge had the most grapefruit and citrus flavor I have come across almost overwhelming at some points but still tasty.

Anything from Sierra Nevada - especially like their seasonals.

Some Arrogant Bastard is often found lurking in my fridge.

Firestone Walker Pale Ale

Fire Rock Pale Ale

Calico Amber (although I think they cover up the awesome grain bill too much with the hops)

Shakespeare Stout

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

Hobgoblin

Others I can't think of because I had to make sure several of the above were worth posting.....:drunk:

Currently: Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA, Firestone Walker Pale Ale, Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale and Black Butte Porter, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Guinness Draught, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Celebrator, Pilsner Urquell...

I keep going back to Yuengling. Enjoyed the Michelob Amber Bock but for some reason that beer will always give me a headache.

Newcastle Brown ale is always a favourite. Then most of the german Weissbeer and Lager works when in Germany, not much of it around here except Erdinger wich is ok.

We have great Icelandic Beer here that I recomend if you come here.

For mainstream beers, I like Alexander Keith's, both the IPA and the Red.
I'm a big fan of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I also really like Okanagan Springs Porter.

paulaner oktoberfest, weiheistepaner fest bier, red hook esb, snpa, gordon biersch blonde bock, paulaner salvator, sam smiths oatmeal stout, rogue mocha porter, shakespeare stout, celebrator, sam adams cream stout, black lager, honey porter, oktoberfest
kona pipeline porter, fingers are getting numb, need a beer!

I recently had the Michelob Porter and found it to taste great. I also tried Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine this weekend and it was awesome!

My favorite so far has been Deschutes' Black Butte Porter though.

Its tough for me to convince myself mentally to buy beer anymore since I get more than I or my liver needs for free but within what I get from work my favorites are:

Munich Dark- Our most award winning style that NO one has heard of
Glacier Harvest- Our only recurring 100 Barrel Series using fresh hops from the finger lakes
IPA and UFO- When I'm at the bars, this is always one of my first beers, such a great mainstay to start (and finish!) an evening.

Munich Dark has been one of my favorites for a while. The Middle East upstairs is the only place I've ever seen it on draft.

I tried the Glacial Harvest sometime last summer. Ever since then I buy all the bottles I see. Unfortunately I drink them within a few days and the search starts over. I've already pilfered most of the Kappy's in the area and all the Mission Hill liquor stores. But it is absolutely incredible.

Off Topic: I assume you work at harpoon in South Boston. My friends and I won a raffle last week for a private tasting for 80 at the brewery. There are few better presents for a group of graduating college kids. I'm looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back