Favorite Cider yeast and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooknhogz

Reaction score
Reason for this post is that my favorite Cider yeast is Fermentis Safecider and is currently unavailable and not sure when it will be back in stock. You can buy in a 500g block but that is way more than I’ll ever use. It ferments dry then I back sweeten with 3 cans FJAC and keg to a 5 gallon batch. Awesome stuff, last 10 gallons went fast. I’ve tried many different yeasts (beer, wine, and cider) with pretty much good drinkable results.
I just put an order in for Fermentis Safe ale S-04 which is one I have yet to try. I have 15 gallons from last fall all fermented with Nottingham. Just kegged the first 5 gallons 3 weeks ago. Tastes really good with a slight beer flavor. still in my opinion, not as great as SafCider. Have a good day.

For FAJC - S04 as @Chalkyt mentioned finishes with a little residual sugar. if Room Temp in the North 62-68 Deg F - S05 finishes dry if room temp in the South 70 - 80F - Both chew through the sugars pretty quickly at those temps add some nice flavor and settle out to a pretty solid yeast cake.

D47 or Cote Des Blanc when fermented cool 50 Deg F +- a few degrees. Takes a good long time but turns out some amazing cider.

Does the S-04 have any beer taste like Nottingham? Nottingham was good but to my taste not great.

As @Chalkyt mentioned, WLP775 is my go to. Ferments dry but leaves a lot of apple flavor/aroma profile and a surprising amount of body considering my current batch went below 1.000. Cheers!

I've only started with cider, and Kveik Voss is incredible. I'd love to hear someone else compare Voss to other S-04, etc. for brewing ciders.

I would like too because fermentation T° and speed of Kveik both seems to be the opposite of what most of people do recommand for cider.

I'm fermenting at room temp, 90F. Plain old store AJ, 1 week to ferment, 1 week to bottle-carbonate. So delicious, I'm hooked!

Another vote for WLP002. Very neutral taste, quite before 1.000 and leaves some apple flavor. I’m waiting for a sample of the new Fermentis AC-4 cider yeast to try which should be arriving soon hopefully.

I wish Fermentis would hurry a little quicker on releasing their Cider yeasts it’s Cider season and no yeast from them at this time. I’ve made plenty of Hard Cider and my best was using Fermentis SafCider yeast.

I've only started with cider, and Kveik Voss is incredible. I'd love to hear someone else compare Voss to other S-04, etc. for brewing ciders.
I've used both Hornindal and Voss Kveik strains, the former ferments to full dry in about a week in my garage (approx 20 celcius) and i put enough sugar in to get to 10% abv at full dry.

The Voss strain however tastes delicious, I could swear it was orange juice, but doesnt seem to quite get to 10% abv in the same recipe without warming a bit, the last batch seemed to quit trying, leaving about 1.02 SpG and is quite sweet despite being 7.5% ish, I think the Voss needs to be quite a bit warmer than the hornindal to finish completely. but that said the orangy profile of the Voss with admittedly cheap from concentrate apple juice and regular white sugar is phenomenal.

Back