Faucets: SS vs. chrome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisVZ

Reaction score
I am currently in the planning stages for a keezer. While shopping for some perlick faucets I saw that the chrome plated ones were about half the price of the stainless ones. My budget is disappearing pretty fast so I am considering going the chrome route. What are the disadvantages to these faucets? I would like to know what I would be sacrificing.

The only disadvantage to the PC versions is they lose their plating over time, exposing the base metal.

Otoh, the SS versions are essentially timeless...

Cheers!

Well, my employer just solved my dilemma for me. I was informed that I will be required to put in 18 hrs of overtime every week for at least the next month, which will give me an extra $700 gross in my paycheck each week. Ordered 4 stainless faucets, and my design is changing from a collared keezer to a coffin style made of red oak. Will be starting my build when my freezer is delivered at the end of the month.

Sounds like good advice, but back when I built my keezer there were some ongoing quality issues with the SS perlicks, so I bought the PCs and they have been excellent. No issues with the finish whatsoever.

I read several reviews of the 630's I bought and saw no quality complaints, just price. Nearly everyone loved them. Since my budget in now a little larger, I might as well go big.

I went stainless faucets and chrome shanks. The faucets get all the wear and tear, so definitely spend the extra there. I was on the fence about shanks, but the chrome is a little easier on the budget.

Back