FastFerment conical fermenter??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's an idea: how about developing a hop screen that is the gradient of a muslin bag that goes over the connector between the collection ball and the ball valve? This would allow you to simply put your hops in the collection ball and allow them to infuse up into the beer. When you are done dry hopping, just take the collection ball off. This would make Fastferment a good 100,000 more I bet (you guys reading this?? ;) ) . Anyone have any ideas to do this, or have tried/succeeded? I tried putting a piece of a muslin bag between the connector and the collection ball but the threads became too tight and would not screw on all the way. Lets innovate something!!! Of course you could just throw a muslin bag in the top, but this would literally allow the hop oil to infuse up through your beer and would be an easy clean up.

There should be a black O ring that goes between the collection ball grey fitting and the grey threaded ball valve. A little black o ring that is about an inch in circumference.

Glad you found it!! My kit came with two of those black o rings. If you dont have one, Im sure you can find one at a hardware store pretty quickly. Cheers! :mug:

Now that is a good Christmas present to yourself! How much do you brew at a time typically? That's a lot of beer making!

I did around 60 gallons in 2015. Only in the 30 gallon range this year. I take it to parties and such in 5 gallon kegs. Drink very little of it myself. Can't go to fire calls if I've been drinking so I usually don't when I'm at home.

Mine came with the silicon gasket for the top, it sucked, it either didn't work (because the cover wasn't cinched up tight enough) or it did work (because it was cinched up tight enough) but couldn't get the damn cover off afterwards.

I contacted FF to get them to send me one of the foam ones to double up with the silicon one, worked just OK, kept falling in (thankfully it floats better than the silicon ones do)

Finally I went to a party where they made place settings with your name on it, on about a foam leaf they cut out of 1/4" foam sheets they bought at the dollar store.

While I couldn't find them, I did find a similar product shaped like a pumpkin, and large enough to get an O ring cut out of it. So now I double it up with the silicon one. The last batch I did (which desperately needs to be bottled), I have never heard the airlock sing its lovely tune so much with the FF. Finally have a great seal.

I got my conical today and I sent them an email regarding my tool on the handle not fitting the ball valve and having just a foam gasket when they now include the silicone ones with newer kits. I am hoping that they will send me both. I heard that they have great customer service. I am sure they will be responding to me tomorrow. I did send them like 3 separate emails though, because as I found something, I would email them. Hope I didn't tick them off. haha

They replied to me today and are sending me 2 of the "new rubber hollow gaskets" for the lid and also they are sending me a free thermometer for me giving them a positive review on Amazon! Great company!!

I reuse the yeast most of the time. I never wash it or pour it into a jar. I just take the ball off the fermenter, drain a little of the beer and put the bung on it. Put it in the fridge as is. I think the longest I've had the thing in the fridge like this is 6-7 months and reused maybe 4 times.
I then just make a starter from it in a half gallon mason jar.

I think what helps this is I like you mentioned, dump the trub once before adding the yeast. I don't get clogs either like others seem too.

Anyone else's thermowell not go all the way into the make a seal with the white threaded mold. I can see wort building up in this and causing issues. Deff got to take the thermowell out everytime your done to clean it. My thermowell did not want to stay centered with the threads as I was screwing it in.

IMG_4504.jpg

Anyone else's thermowell not go all the way into the make a seal with the white threaded mold. I can see wort building up in this and causing issues. Deff got to take the thermowell out everytime your done to clean it. My thermowell did not want to stay centered with the threads as I was screwing it in.

I've had it happen twice now where it doesn't thread right and it leaked. I'm thankful it didn't mess up the threads.

Has anyone looked for or found orings for the valve?
I decided to fully disassemble the valve for a proper cleaning and the shaft orings are clearly damaged and it only makes sense to replace the ones under the ball seat rings. They don't appear to be common sizes, inch or metric. Has anyone sourced these?

Has anyone looked for or found orings for the valve?
I decided to fully disassemble the valve for a proper cleaning and the shaft orings are clearly damaged and it only makes sense to replace the ones under the ball seat rings. They don't appear to be common sizes, inch or metric. Has anyone sourced these?

I picked up a couple at ACE. Was mostly worried about loosing it and not knowing the original size have a leaker.

Since a new valve is only $13 I'm going that route for now, plus I could use a couple more accessories too. That buys me time to hunt them down.

I CANNOT get my thermowell to seal. I have taken it off, put seal tape on in a clockwise direction, and put it back in like 5 times now. I still get water dripping out. Any advise, or should I just return this thing and try to get a new one?

I CANNOT get my thermowell to seal. I have taken it off, put seal tape on in a clockwise direction, and put it back in like 5 times now. I still get water dripping out. Any advise, or should I just return this thing and try to get a new one?

I had mine leak before also. What i did is stretch a keg post "O" ring over the thermowell and tighten her up. Hasnt leaked in a year.

barney

PS: put the tape on the thermowell threads counter clockwise

I will try to keg post O ring and see what happens! Im assuming you put it to where it seals on the outside of the vessel? Per the fastferment videos, and info on how to use thread tape, I think clockwise is the direction you wrap because you are tightening the fitting clockwise when screwing it on. Thanks!

I will try to keg post O ring and see what happens! Im assuming you put it to where it seals on the outside of the vessel? Per the fastferment videos, and info on how to use thread tape, I think clockwise is the direction you wrap because you are tightening the fitting clockwise when screwing it on. Thanks!

Yes, you put it on the outside of the vessel. If you wind the tape on clockwise, then thread it in clockwise, it will have a tendency to unravel the tape off of the thermowell. If put on counter clockwise, it will stay on the thermowell and will not unravel.

Might not be explaining myself properly, but give it a try

Also, i remember i had to do a little sanding on the outside where the thermowell is. It was a little rough around the edges.

Barney

Ok, went to dump my trub today and found I have over tightened my collection ball. Anybody got any good ideas for helping to get it off?

Thanks

Ok, went to dump my trub today and found I have over tightened my collection ball. Anybody got any good ideas for helping to get it off?

Thanks

Open valve, then loosen,tighten valve. If not, water pump pliers, carefully

Hello Brewmegoodbeer - have you got everything you need sorted? If not, hit us up at [email protected] with any questions.
Have a great weekend!
Jes

Hey Jes,

I have actually been talking to you via email regarding the thermowell leak. Thank you for your wonderful customer service! I am looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Caleb Hendershott

Last edited by a moderator:
My only complaint with the ball is when you take it off, if there is yeast or trub in the vessel that hasn't settled in to the ball, it oozes out and gets on the valve and has to be cleaned. I boiled some water, let it cool and submerged the valve in and out of the water until it looked clean. After that, I wiped it with a paper towel, sprayed it with some star san and reattached the ball. Anyone else experience this? Is there a better way to do it? Granted, I should probably do a better job of filtering when transferring to the vessel but it is what it is.

I had the same thing happen with taking the ball off. I opened the valve a little bit, loosened the ball a half turn, closed the valve and the ball was easily removed.

My only complaint with the ball is when you take it off, if there is yeast or trub in the vessel that hasn't settled in to the ball, it oozes out and gets on the valve and has to be cleaned. I boiled some water, let it cool and submerged the valve in and out of the water until it looked clean. After that, I wiped it with a paper towel, sprayed it with some star san and reattached the ball. Anyone else experience this? Is there a better way to do it? Granted, I should probably do a better job of filtering when transferring to the vessel but it is what it is.

I had the same thing happen with taking the ball off. I opened the valve a little bit, loosened the ball a half turn, closed the valve and the ball was easily removed.

I remove the ball at about ten days, empty, reattach and open the valve. This seems dislodge most everything left in the fermenter and it moves down into the collection ball. I understand that the second batch of yeast that falls into the collection ball is the one you want to save. I could care less about collecting yeast, I make large starters and reserve from there.

For cleaning the ball valve: You can dis-assemble the ball valve by removing the red handle and using the raised red squares in the corresponding holes on the bottom.

My only complaint with the ball is when you take it off, if there is yeast or trub in the vessel that hasn't settled in to the ball, it oozes out and gets on the valve and has to be cleaned.

How would it ooze out if the valve is closed? I suppose the small space from the valve to the ball, but there isn't much space there. I have had trub over fill the ball and get stuck up in the fermentor. Empty the ball, blow the air back up through, and while it is conditioning in secondary either to clear, or dry hop, the rest of it falls down into the ball. Never had anything ooze out.

I always put a plastic plate under the ball anyway, just in case there area any leaks.

As far as cleaning it, I clean the FF with Oxyclean. Scoop of oxy, fill up the FF with hot water and let it sit over night. Before dumping the oxy solution out of it, I work the valve back and forth about a dozen times....have never needed to take the valve off or take it apart and clean it.

Rinse well with water when done, ready for the next brew.

How would it ooze out if the valve is closed?.

I think he is referring to the small amount of trub that might be below the ball, after it is closed. I just wipe with a paper towel and spray it with starsan before attaching the ball again.

I use the the same oxy method for cleaning or I put it on my keg cleaner. Letting it soak overnight works really well. I never use more than my hand to "scrub" with and that is pretty minimal.

I take my valve apart about every ten batches just for my own peace of mind. At about the one year mark, I completely took i everything off cleaned and reassembled.

Back