FastFerment Blow off ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobb25

Reaction score
Yesterday when I went down to check on my brown ale, its second day in the FastFerment conical, one look told me that the air lock was clogged with krausen, and the brown stuff was running down the side of the fermenter. This is only a 5 gal batch in a rather larger fermenter and I never expected this. It looked like it had settled down, so I cleaned the airlock and reset it. This morning the same thing had happened overnight. In my carboy, I would have placed a blow off tube. However, anyone who has seen the lid of a FastFerment has seen that there is only a hole big enough for an airlock. Has anyone retrofitted the lid of a FastFerment to a larger hole that would accept a blowoff tube? The yeast is WLP001.

Wow, I have never had krausen even close to the lid with all the brews I've done in the FastFerment. I have seen some people find a tube that connects to the airlock and make that their blow off tube. Maybe try that and see how it goes. Then you're not modifying the lid.

I use the vegetable based anti foam drops, and fill my FF to 7.5 gallons. I usually get about an inch of krausen, anything more I add a few more drops and all is well.

I use the vegetable based anti foam drops, and fill my FF to 7.5 gallons. I usually get about an inch of krausen, anything more I add a few more drops and all is well.

+1 on the anti foam products. I used Fermcap S for the first time a few weeks ago and I'm sold!. My motivation came from loosing 1.4 gallons out of starting volume of 5.5 via the blow-off hose.

Where can I find a vegetable based anti foam product?

Back