Stout Faucet Maintenance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought some kind of no-name stout faucet on Amazon, and it has worked great. Tubing length doesn't matter. Pour speed doesn't matter. Always perfect. Dry glass, wet glass, doesn't matter. This was true until recently.

Lately the beer has seemed a little off. Almost stale.

I always clean off the nozzle, but yesterday, I let it soak in water overnight, along with the O-ring and the little plate with holes in it.

I just poured a stout, and it seems perfect again.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I wonder if the holes in the little plate were constricted.

I currently have a Taprite stout faucet and had a Micromatic stout faucet before, and with both of them I have/had to remove the spout and take the guts out and clean them every few days. Yes, the restrictor plate holes get plugged, but also the whole inside gets coated with stout and is bound to get weird eventually. Best to nip that in the bud before it happens...

Cheers!

Same here. I have the $50 Amazon special. The restrictor plate would clog from time to time. I found that after a pour, if you touch the faucet outlet with your finger, that will break the tension of the liquid and a little more beer would flow out (about a thimble). This did not stop the problem, it just made the problem fewer between.

I finally had to replace the faucet because for whatever reason, it would pour slower, and the creamer stopped working. Don't know if I lost an O-ring/spacer or it just wore out. I went with an Intertap with a stout nozzle. No creamer functionality, but I don't really need it.

ALL my faucets get the tips removed after using and soaked in a glass of water and rinsed well. ALL my faucets get a starsan blast up inside after those tips are removed. EVERYTIME after drinking.

Thats the beauty of those forward sealing designs. easy to clean/flush.

I bought some kind of no-name stout faucet on Amazon, and it has worked great. Tubing length doesn't matter. Pour speed doesn't matter. Always perfect. Dry glass, wet glass, doesn't matter. This was true until recently.

Lately the beer has seemed a little off. Almost stale.

I always clean off the nozzle, but yesterday, I let it soak in water overnight, along with the O-ring and the little plate with holes in it.

I just poured a stout, and it seems perfect again.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I wonder if the holes in the little plate were constricted.
Nitrogen faucets do a lot better with a weekly cleaning.

Back