Fast brew to drink recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nike_Eayrs

Reaction score
I brew a lot of pale ales and IPA's that take a long time to become ready. I'm patient when the need exsists, bit does anyone have a recipe thats drinkable in a shorter amount of time? I'm open to just about anything, with the exception of a saison style. Cheers!

Lower ABV typically = faster maturation. You can brew pretty much anything in the 3-4% ABV range and turn it around in about 3 weeks, pale ales and IPAs included.

Hefeweizens and other wheats, even in the 4-5ish% ABV range, are fully mature in about 3 weeks as well, and drinkable in about 14 days if you keg. That's about as fast as it gets.

If you bottle, that adds a bit more time to carb up.

The mild ale I brew is ready to drink in 3 weeks. 2 in fermenter and 1 in a keg.

A pale ale and even an ipa can be ready pretyy quick too with a simple grain bill and hops taht taste best fresh. Dry hopping might add a little time to that. I've had a 1.080 IIPA ready to drink at 3 weeks and it was fantastic.

Maybe you should look at why your pale ales and IPA's take so long to be ready. Mine are usually grain to glass in 2 weeks. Are you pitching the correct number of healthy cells, using oxygen, and controlling your fermentation temperatures? If you're bottling and not kegging, the bottle conditioning phase is always going to be your rate limiting factor on ready to drink beer, but generally my beer gets packaged 7-10 days after pitching, and dry hopped beers 10-14 days. If I'm in a hurry or don't have any kegs tapped, I can force carb it in a day or two, but usually I'm just a set/forget guy because I've got other stuff on tap so it can sit for 2 weeks to get carbonated.

Anyway, my ordinary bitter usually goes grain to glass in about 10 days, but I can push it and have brewed it Monday night and drank it on Saturday.

I have not gotten kegs as of yet (but am hoping Santa comes through) so everything is bottle conditioned. My most recent recipe is listed below, it was a NB kit, Chinook IPA. It turned out well, but has taken 8 weeks to bottle condition and seemingly come together. I used San Diego Super Strain, and built a pretty solid starter due to the OG being 1.062. Hope this sheds a little more light on the subject! Thanks for all the help, and happy holiday's to all!

10 lbs Rahr 2-row Pale
0.75 lbs. Belgian Caramel Pils
0.25 lbs. Briess Caramel 120

1oz chinook at 60
.5oz chinook at 10
.5 chinook at 1min
1oz chinook dry hop

I can get a normal IPA/Pale in the 1.060 range from grain to glass in about 3 weeks if I'm wanting to. I can get them to ferment in roughly 10 days, and I dry hop in the keg while I carb. Works out perfect.

I'm usually drinking my pale ales and IPAs young, but that's me.

For something faster, you could easily do a mild. They go from grain to glass in 10 days if you keg, about a week to 10 days later if you bottle.

I'm usually drinking my pale ales and IPAs young, but that's me.

For something faster, you could easily do a mild. They go from grain to glass in 10 days if you keg, about a week to 10 days later if you bottle.

Do you have a good example of a "mild" recipe? I like the sound of this!

Using Wyeast 1968 London Ale yeast average fermentation is 4-5days at 68*

If you wanted to rush things you could have a beer on the table in just over a week. It's still a bit green but with an IPA it really won't matter and an amber or porter could be comfortable in a little over 2 weeks.

This is assuming no higher OG than about 1.060-1.065 and FG of 1.010+/-

1968 is a good all around yeast, but becareful rushing it. It needs a D rest, and it will flocc out fast, so sometimes it needs a rousing, and a swirl to make it finish.

Orfy's mild is great! I made Jamil's mild a few years ago, and loved it.

Use a highly flocculant English yeast (I like WLP002 or the earlier mentioned Wyeast 1968).

OG of 1.036-1.038 (6 gallons)

7 pounds MO
.5 pound crystal 60L (British, preferably)
6 ounces crystal 120
.25 pound pale chocolate malt
2 ounces black patent

.85 ounces EKG 5% (or any other good British hop to get you to 17-22 IBUs or so).

Bavarian hefeweizen. Easy and simple grain bill. 7 days to ferment, strate to keg. Force carb over night and you're golden. I have had my Bavarian hefeweizen form grain to glass in 10 days.

I made a batch of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde for a party I had yesterday. I went grain to glass in 10 days (keg)and it was delicious. I kicked up the grain bill a bit to get a 5% brew. It wasn't as clear as it would be if I gave it another week, but it was a hit with everyone that tried it.

Dry Irish stout. Og in the low 1040s. Under a week primary. Week secondary. 10 cups strong brewed coffee in bottling bucket. Drinkable within days from the bottle. awesome in a week! Same brew sans coffee ok. With coffee awesome!

Orfy's mild is great! I made Jamil's mild a few years ago, and loved it.

Use a highly flocculant English yeast (I like WLP002 or the earlier mentioned Wyeast 1968).

OG of 1.036-1.038 (6 gallons)

7 pounds MO
.5 pound crystal 60L (British, preferably)
6 ounces crystal 120
.25 pound pale chocolate malt
2 ounces black patent

.85 ounces EKG 5% (or any other good British hop to get you to 17-22 IBUs or so).

That actually sounds really tasty..

Drew Beechum wrote an article in the Nov/Dec 2011 Zymurgy entitled "From Grain to Glass in Six Days". Excellent article and right on point. Any AHA member has access to it.

Cheers

Back