Fast and easy (and cheap) way to clean taps and lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdbc2011

Reaction score
I have only cleaned my tap lines and taps a few times over the past two years. It takes along time to dismantle the taps and lines, it can be a pain.

I kicked a keg this weekend and decided to do the right thing and clean it right away. I rinsed and then filled with hot water and a scoop of homemade PBW (60% Oxyclean and 30% Red Devil STP 90). The keg sat overnight.

So I thought that it would be great to run the already made soapy mixture through my taps and then flush with hot water. I had made a pin lock hose that would attach to my air compressor a long time ago to check for a leak in a keg.

The air compressor allows one to adjust the pressure going out. I set it to 10lb and then hooked up the first line. I ran one quart of soapy water through each line. I let it soak for about 30 minutes while I did other things.

I rinsed the keg a few times with hot water and then filled with hot water. I ran two quarts of hot water through the taps.

The process was fast and simple. I did not waste any PBW nor CO2.

clean tap 1.jpg

clean tap 6.jpg

clean tap 2.jpg

clean tap 3.jpg

clean tap 4.jpg

clean tap 5.jpg

keezer.jpg

That's one way to do it! I use an aquarium pump that sits in a bucket of Beer line cleaner and pumps in through my lines.

I'd love to see that method. :)

OP that is cool. I should try that too.

Thanks for sharing the idea OP!

I've done the whole cleaning solution in a corney keg thing before but always wasted away CO2 in the process. Cant believe I never thought of this before, simply attaching a gas corny QD to a male air compressor QD....

My compresser is sort of stationary in the garage but I have a 3 gallon tank with a regulator that I could pressurize and carry over to the taps.

Found a couple vids on a DIY Beer Line Cleaner Build. Here is part 1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing the idea OP!

I've done the whole cleaning solution in a corney keg thing before but always wasted away CO2 in the process. Cant believe I never thought of this before, simply attaching a gas corny QD to a male air compressor QD....

My compresser is sort of stationary in the garage but I have a 3 gallon tank with a regulator that I could pressurize and carry over to the taps.

I think a three gallon tank would be enough. My compressor only kicked on once but there was still plenty of pressure.

I hate to waste CO2 because it is such a hassle to refill.

Any concerns about oils/other stuff contaminating your clean corny by pumping unfiltered compressor air into it? I have seen the stuff that comes out of the holding tanks when they are drained and that stuff can be gross.

I think this is great, but ...
There is no oil separator, and or filter on the line. I would worry about oil and debris getting into the line. I have seen what happens to the insides of peoples home compressors, no matter how well they take care of them, they start rotting from the inside out the first time you power them on, unless they are aluminum.

I did not think about oil from the compressor, I may put some type of inline filter the next time I do this.

Back