Farm House Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20000Barrels

Reaction score
I thinking of brewing a Farm House ale kit.

My basement could simulate a cellar during the fermentation process.

I have never had a farm house ale.

Is there a large variations in styles?

Thanks

I have a Saison carbing right now. I will try it tomorrow night. There are loads of options for this style. Generally they are lower in alc. content and have a highly carbed peppery hop taste to it. You can do just about anything you want to this, add, fruit, spice, both. I brewed mine with just a hint of orange peel. I'll come back to this thread tomorrow night and let you know how it came out.

In the mean time. If you have access to Ithaca beers in your area. Seek out there "Groundbreak ale"

Thanks
I ended up ordering Garde-de-Biere- form Highgravity beers.
I like higher alcohol in my home ale but I will check ithaca

I have a Saison carbing right now. I will try it tomorrow night. There are loads of options for this style. Generally they are lower in alc. content and have a highly carbed peppery hop taste to it. You can do just about anything you want to this, add, fruit, spice, both. I brewed mine with just a hint of orange peel. I'll come back to this thread tomorrow night and let you know how it came out.

In the mean time. If you have access to Ithaca beers in your area. Seek out there "Groundbreak ale"

The traditional Saisons of 100 years ago were generally low in alcohol (so the workers would still be able to work), but more modern examples are quite high in alcohol (6 to 8%).

There is usually very little hop flavor to it, the flavor is mainly derived from the yeast. Depending on the yeast it can be spicy or fruity.

The beer ferments very dry, making it very drinkable, without noticing how much alcohol is in it.

Generally there are no added spices. If any are used, they should not be noticeable. If you can identify the spice, you have used too much.

For the OP: Saisons are usually fermented hot. I usually start around 75F. It helps to bring out the yeast flavor and help the yeast dry out the beer.

The traditional Saisons of 100 years ago were generally low in alcohol (so the workers would still be able to work), but more modern examples are quite high in alcohol (6 to 8%).

There is usually very little hop flavor to it, the flavor is mainly derived from the yeast. Depending on the yeast it can be spicy or fruity.

The beer ferments very dry, making it very drinkable, without noticing how much alcohol is in it.

Generally there are no added spices. If any are used, they should not be noticeable. If you can identify the spice, you have used too much.

For the OP: Saisons are usually fermented hot. I usually start around 75F. It helps to bring out the yeast flavor and help the yeast dry out the beer.

Yes, the Ithaca one i mentioned is 6% i believe. That is the only "regular" saison i can find. Everything else is brewed peaches, apricots, Orange etc.

I brewed NB's Petite Saison kit a month or so ago. added a half oz. of sweet orange peel and some paradise seeds. turned out great. a very good session beer.

Good info thank you!

QUOTE=Calder;3943889]The traditional Saisons of 100 years ago were generally low in alcohol (so the workers would still be able to work), but more modern examples are quite high in alcohol (6 to 8%).

For the OP: Saisons are usually fermented hot. I usually start around 75F. It helps to bring out the yeast flavor and help the yeast dry out the beer.[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Back