Family Reunion this summer WHAT BEERS SHOULD I BREW!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
I have to drive to Florida from Houston, so I think I'll only take two kegs. Most of the people are BMC drinkers. I'm thinking about making 10 gallons of BierMunchers Cream Ale, but I'm open for suggestions.

What do you guys think?

Maybe make 5 of the cream ale and 5 of BierMunchers hefe. Its pretty freaking delicious and I don't know many people who don't like a good hefe. :mug:

Yeah, wheat beers are a good crossover--both BMC and non-BMC drinkers generally like them. 5 gallons of that and 5 gallons of Cream of 3 Crops for the really hardcore BMC crowd is a good mix.

Yeah, wheat beers are a good crossover--both BMC and non-BMC drinkers generally like them. 5 gallons of that and 5 gallons of Cream of 3 Crops for the really hardcore BMC crowd is a good mix.

I was thinking a wheat may be a great one to have. I'm brewing Sam Caligione's Chamomile wheat beer soon and if that's tasty, that may be the wheat I brew.

FWIW last summer I took 5gal of BM's Centennial Blonde to a party populated by the BMC crowd and we kicked it in under an hour. At one point I looked over to find the host's father filling his Coors Light bottle out of my corny keg. It was a proud moment bringing another one to the "other" side. Even if it was just for a day. So Centennial Blonde gets my vote.

I'd have to vote for a simple Cream Ale (Biermuncher's would be fine) with Amalyse Enzyme to bring the gravity down to nothing and to cut the corn smell (if any) and low IBU hopping (as in the 10 - 15 range).

Hefeweizens tend to be hit or miss. I know a lot of people who hate them.

My family drains every keg of Kentucky Common I take to them. Trust me, they are brutally honest and tell me what beers they don't like. My Kentucky Common, Pale Ale, and Irish Red have been huge hits with everyone. I just brewed up 2 versions without the 18-24hr mash and will test them on people soon. Let me know if you're interested.

That's because they are trendy with the Sprite drinkers. :D

Just tell 'em it's a summer wheat and they'll say they love it.

i just tapped a blonde ale this weekend i made recently and it got rave reviews, even from people who drink only the yellow fizzy stuff. There's a pic i posted HERE
It's for sure the best of 6 or so different blonde/cream ale recipes i've made. This can go from pitch to keg in 3 weeks. A little gelatin in the 2nd and it turns out crystal clear. I am going to post the recipe but in the meantime, here's some info you can use to calculate to your equipment

93.33 % two row
6.67 % 10 degree crystal
mash at 150
~17 ibu sterling @ 60mins
~5 ibu sterling @ 15mins
wyeast 1056
ferment at 67F
og 1.039
fg 1.006-1.007

that's funny.

It's not that I have anything against the Belgian Wit style, but it's more that I have an issue with people who believe that Coors makes something that is a genuine craft brew. I know that a Wit beer is a true craft style and perhaps one of the original craft brews, but I'll make that for myself and keep the knowledge to myself (except for in this post and well, anyone else who asks).

Back