Alcoholic Ginger Beer with Tamarind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Chowder

Reaction score
Okay, so this is an idea I've had kicking around in my head for close to a year, and I'm getting ready to brew for a charitable event where there will be dozens and dozens of home brews on tap. I plan to have at least three taps myself, and I'm playing with an idea for making an alcoholic ginger beer and using a bit of tamarind paste in it, because I like tamarind. So I'm going for a 5 gallon batch that will go into a keg, and I've never brewed a ginger beer before but hey what the heck right? (I've been brewing beer and cider in general for about 15 years, along with the occasional mead.) I have kind of a reputation for brewing some off-the-wall things that usually turn out pretty doggone good

So what do you guys think? I've got some organic preservative-free tamarind extract paste coming from Amazon today, one with good reviews from the culinary community. Should I add it into the primary fermenter, or save it as a kegging addition? What would you do? I'm wide open to experimentation, and the event I'm brewing for is in 27 days.

Back