Family friendly stops in San Francisco?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
We'll (wife, kids aged 9 and 11) be spending 7 days in San Francisco over spring break. Looking for some suggestions for good brewpub stops. I've already penciled in 21st Amendment, and we'll take a drive up to Russian River one day.

Specifically looking for more restaurant oriented stops as opposed to beer bars with 300 taps. When you're traveling with kids you can't hang out for hours in a spot and sample 8 or 10 beers. :cross: We'll have a car for part of the time, but much of the time we'll be confined to public transportation or cabs. We're staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area. So what places do we not want to miss?

Unfortunately, Steelhead moved it's operations a few years back, it was at the Wharf.

Jupiter's in Bezerkly, has a BART station right in front of it, but you'll have to bus over to your connection in SF.

Just a bit to the north, Bear republic has an excellent restaurant.
345 Healdsburg Avenue
Healdsburg, California,

Just a bit to the north, Bear republic has an excellent restaurant.
345 Healdsburg Avenue
Healdsburg, California,

Man, I love Bear Republic's beers, at least the few that I've had. If we get a chance to drive up there I'll definitely check that out.

Thirsty Bear is just down the street from MoMA.

Good catch. Seems like the fare is Spanish. My wife really likes Tapas and Spanish food. We'll check this one out for sure.

Jupiter in Berkeley has a nice patio outside that the kids can hang out on if it is nice out, also Jazz/rock bands on Friday nights. You can take muni from FW to the embarcadero Bart station really easily and they have pizza. You can also hit the ferry plaza and Hog Island oyster company has a bar looking over the bay and the kids can play on the public docks beer on tap and lots of wine. Gordon Birsch is about two blocks further down the embarcadero and has GB beer if you like that. If you want to do like the locals go to Reds Java house on the embarcadero under the Bay Brdige absolutely the best place for the real SF experience it is the hang out for the tug operators and has a great patio.

Of course Toronado would be tough to miss, but that falls under the all taps no food category, but there is a great German sausage place right next door and they let you bring the food in.

Moyland's in Novato, (30 min. from S.F.) is much closer to the City and they have a beer called Hopsickle which is amazing triple IPA, and good food.

Russian River (1 hr. up the 101) you just misssed Pliny the Younger but the Elder is always there. Consecration is the new sour belgium that was aged in wine barrels, awesome pizza!

HopMonk in a newer place in Sebastopol which is ( 30 min. from Novato) off the 101. This place is Awesome in every way!! Great beers on tap as well as rare findings in the bottle, and Awesome food!!

I've been to Bear Republic and was not impressed, mediocre food but the Racer 5 is pretty good. But that would be the longest drive from S.F. and you would be driving right by some pretty great places to get there.

You already mentioned 21st Amendment. But there is no shortage of great places all within an hour or so of S.F.

Eastside

Latest posts

Back