False bottoms & boil bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Festmaster

Reaction score
Would it be practical to use a false bottom in your boil kettle to help keep all the hops sediment out when you transfer to the fermentor or would you be better off using a boil bag? I'm not sure about boil bags. I feel as though they might limit the hops as opposed to just putting them in the boil.

I also see using pick up tubes(which I dont have yet). Some are in the middle. You get all the wort out but hop sediment/trub too. Some are off to the side leaving the sediment/trub but also wort. Perhaps the holes in the false bottom would be too big anyway and the hops sediment would still get through.

Thouhgts?

I dont filter the hops out. All of it goes into my primary, it all settles to the bottom and I dont worry about it.

My pickup tube in the keggle BK terminates at the side and a couple inches up from the bottom. I used a standard pickup tube but reversed it (without going into the garage to measure, about 3" out and 7" down/sideways). I end up leaving most, but not all, of the hops and lose a little bit of wort - kind of a happy medium. I use hop pellets in the boil and I don't think there are any false bottoms that will filter out those, bags just always seamed kind of a hassle so I've never used them. I almost always transfer to secondary and that usually gets out any hop material that made it into the primary.

Back