False bottom scratching kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMUNS

Reaction score
My false bottom seems to be scratching up the inside of my kettle when I take it out and put it back in. Should I be concerned? Can bacteria hide in those surface scratches or is that sanitation paranoia??

Its fine... my FB scratches my megapot all the time. You are going to be boiling everything so no worries about bacteria.

Thanks man that's what I thought. The fb is in my mash tun but I still don't think it's anything a deep clean and some iodopher can't handle.

Take some silicone tubing, cut a slit in the tubing, and wrap it around the outside edge of the false bottom. No more scratching and a tighter seal for the FB.

I wouldn't worry about the scratches. After all you plan on boiling the wort right?

I only use the FB in my mash tun. I boil in another pot, but I dig the idea of putting silicon tubing around the edge, tight seal and no more "fingernails scratching a chalkboard" types of sounds

I only use the FB in my mash tun. I boil in another pot,

The silicone will definately soften the edges, but I don't see why you keep stressing that you only use the FB in the mash tun. Nearly all those that use FB's do exactly that. You boil anything that has come in contact with the mash tun. After that, a clean pot is a clean pot. Besides aesthetics, what is your concern with scratches on the hot side??

Latest posts

Back