Falconers Flight Single Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillieBananas

Reaction score
This is my idea for a FF single hop APA. I know the FF is a blend of several hops, so technically I guess it wouldn't be a single hop but.....

I'm trying to keep it simple. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially with the hop schedule.

9# Dme (Light)
.75# c-60
.5# Carapils

1oz FF @ 60
1oz FF @ 15
1oz FF @ 0
1oz FF Dry Hop

Cali Ale 001

Looks fine I would suggest adding possibly 1 or 2 more oz in the last 5 mins. I have done a straight FF a few times but used a minimum if 6 oz in the boil and a couple for the dry hop. Turned out solid every time

never tried FF yet, but looks solid... maybe nix the carapils as it really doesn't do much... and thats a bit of caramel malt when you want the hops to shine...

but i'd agree with boz... 2more oz can go a long way in a hop forward beer, and the FF series is pretty cheap.

Seems heavy on the c60. Do you like malt heavy IPAs? I'd probably just skip the 60 all together. Carapils will help with body and head. We have a guy in the club here who is brewing 1-gallon smashs to try different hops. Just pale extract and 1-hop. Turns out great. Last one was belma. It was like eating a strawberry!

Thanks for the input! I think I will bump up the hops has suggested . I'm thinking 1oz at 5min. Another 1 oz at flameout , sound about right? As for the grain I do like a more balanced APA. I was hoping the crystal and the carapils would add to the body , color and mouthfeel .

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree with the guys above about the Caramel malt. I would drop the Caramel down to 0.5#. If you want maltiness you can add a little Munich malt without adding too much more sweetness--maybe 0.5# Munich malt.

Another alternative is to use a Caramel that is lightly kilned like Caramel 20. As you go down they become more fermentable and less sweet. This all depends on how you like your IPAs. Do you want them more balanced or do you want the hops to be the star of the show. Its all preference so experiment and report back.

I agree with the guys above about the Caramel malt. I would drop the Caramel down to 0.5#. If you want maltiness you can add a little Munich malt without adding too much more sweetness--maybe 0.5# Munich malt.

Another alternative is to use a Caramel that is lightly kilned like Caramel 20. As you go down they become more fermentable and less sweet. This all depends on how you like your IPAs. Do you want them more balanced or do you want the hops to be the star of the show. Its all preference so experiment and report back.

I agree completely with this ^^^. Cut the C60 down to 1/2 lb or better yet, use 1/2 to 1lb of C20. You also won't need the carapils when using other crystal malts. I also like the idea of cutting the DME slightly and adding some Munich.

I think .5# of c-20 is doable. The idea for this recipe started when I was reading about Smash brewing . I was originally only going to use DME , FF and 001 yeast . However I was reading that most DME isn't a single malt but more of a blend . So I adjusted .

This may be a dumb question but can I steep the Munich or does it require mashing?

This may be a dumb question but can I steep the Munich or does it require mashing?

Needs to be mashed. It will self convert but even just a couple ounces of 2-row will help ensure conversion of a small amount of other grain. 2-row converts crazy fast.

Munich needs to be mashed. You would be doing a partial mash with this recipe. Munich malt is similar to base grains except that it is kilned to give it some maltiness.

Don't let the term mash intimidate you. Mashing 0.5# of Munich is just like "steeping" 0.5# of Munich at 150 Fahrenheit for 30 or 40 minutes. You could just steep both the 0.5# of Munich and the 0.5# pounds of Caramel 20 at 150 for 30 or 40 minutes.

Thanks for all the input! This is what I'm gonna do

Dry Malt Extract - Light 8.5 lb
Caramel/Crystal 20L (US) 0.5 lb
Munich - Light 10L (US) 0.5 lb
Hops Boil time: 60 min

Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Falconer's Flight (US) 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Falconer's Flight (US) 1.0 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Falconer's Flight (US) 1.0 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Falconer's Flight (US) 2.0 oz 0 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Falconer's Flight (US) 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 10.5%
Yeasts

Name Lab/Product Average Attenuation
California Ale Yeast White Labs WLP001 76.5%
Predicted Stats

1.067 OG 1.016 FG 50 IBU6.7% ABV6 SRM 0.75 IBU/OG Recipe conforms to the American IPA style

So after a year I finally brewed this beer. One problem, 45 minutes into the boil I realized I didnt buy Falconers Flight 7C's. Just Falconers Flight. Now the package says it is an aroma hop. However the Alpha is 10.8 % and Beta is 4.6%. I used Brewtoad and it is saying that the IBU's should be around 50. Think this beer will be ok?

Back