Faint odor in Food Grade Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerkbag

Reaction score
Hi All,

I got a deal on a bunch of 7 gal food pails. BUUUUT they were used for chicken parts. Which is disgusting.They came clean, and I soaked a cleaned them more with OxiClean. But there is still a faint / maybe in my mind whiff of chicken about them.

i wouldn't use for fermenting but what do you think for an enclosed corona mill grain station? And storing grain and that kind of thing.

Am I correct in assuming if something has been soaked and washed with oxiclean, and looks spotless, that I'm okay? I'm sure the smell will be quickly overtaken by the reek of milled grain.

Try wiping them down with vinegar to get the smell out....

For what you want to use it for, you're fine.

I use an old pickle bucket for my corona mill monstrosity. That thing still, 3 years after I got it, smells like pickles.

No worries.

You only need one for a grain mill, what will you do with the rest of them?

soak them with a high concentration of bleach water for a week, rinse and repeat, rinse again, starsan and ferment.

You only need one for a grain mill, what will you do with the rest of them?

I'm gonna use two for the grain mill (bottom cut out of one into another), one to store grain, and one for who knows what :)

You can also set them in sunlight. That will help remove faint odors.

+1

After a good soak, soft sponge scrub, hot and cold water rinse, place the buckets in the sun for a few hours to dry. The combination of heat (maybe not possible yet), wind, and uv light is the cheapest way to help drive off a number of aromas

Back