Food Grade Storage Thread Revisited Again!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
I've looked and reviewed a lot of threads here regarding storing malt and grain for long term storage. There seems to be no definitive solution.

I've looked at Lowe's for a solution. Of course, the food safe buckets aren't available locally, but the lids are. I may still go this route since other solutions seem more expensive.

I looked at Amazon, also. But, the buckets with Gamma lids are $25 each.

I thought about getting the cheap Homer buckets and lining them with food safe plastic bags, but this isn't a cheap option either and they can rip.

Is there a better solution that I'm missing?

If I go the Lowe's route, I'll have to have them shipped. Can someone confirm if these buckets mate with these Gamma Lids?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Encore-Plastics-5-Gallon-Commercial-Food-Grade-Bucket/3694238
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Encore-Plastics-12-in-White-Plastic-Bucket-Lid/50094688

Walmart has food grade 5 gallon buckets for $3 in the paint/hardware aisle. Gamma lids are $6-7 each at HD/Lowe's/Menard's. That's $10 total per 5 gallons of storage, I don't know what could be cheaper for airtight storage.

I get frosting buckets from the local grocery. Food grade. Lids have O-rings for a tight seal. 5 gallon size are $1 apiece. 3 gallon are $0.50 apiece.

Walmart has food grade 5 gallon buckets for $3 in the paint/hardware aisle. Gamma lids are $6-7 each at HD/Lowe's/Menard's. That's $10 total per 5 gallons of storage, I don't know what could be cheaper for airtight storage.

Do the lids mate with the buckets? Different stores?

I had a local dairy, before I moved, that sold their flavoring 5 gallon buckets for $1.50 with lids. But I hate those lids because they are so hard to get on and off. I know there is a tool for removing them and a rubber mallet will get them back on but still a PITA.

The white buckets at HD are food safe. And Gamma Lids. The easiest, cheapest.

Gamma lids fit all 5 gallon buckets and some larger fermenting buckets. The 5s are standard in diameter, unless you possibly find a really strange brand.

The white buckets at HD are food safe. And Gamma Lids. The easiest, cheapest.

SCORED! I just picked up two of the food safe buckets and lids. Thanks!

I thought I looked at HD a few months back and they didn't stock them locally, but there they were!

Latest posts

Back