Faint film in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanddr

Reaction score
I have an Anchor Steam clone that has been fermenting for about 2.5 weeks now and all of the krousen has fallen. What remains is a very, very faint film on top that I have not experienced before and was wondering if it could be from the WLP810 which I have never used before?
As I said, the film is very faint, off white and does not have any lines or large bubbles like an infection. It is at 1.015 and smells and tastes just fine except for being young. I've heard it could be remnants of Star San or the beginning of an infection.
Here is a pic that is not mine but does look similar although possibly slightly worse.
44903d1327450050-post-your-infection-securedownload-1.jpg

I dont have any hop floaties in mine but it does appear to be kind of like an oil film. Possibly oil from the hops? I tried to get a pic of mine but couldnt get a good one that showed it very well.

I dont have any hop floaties in mine but it does appear to be kind of like an oil film. Possibly oil from the hops? I tried to get a pic of mine but couldnt get a good one that showed it very well.

I think that is what it is... my beers have that quite often

I think its awesome we can determine if a beer is infected, bad or hell bent on destroying the earth on one pic down the neck of a carboy.

If it tastes ok, smells ok, its probably just that, ok.

Well, it needs another week in the primary anyway so I'll just sit back and watch it and give it another taste come bottling time. I'd be more concerned if it smelled or tasted bad but it didnt so that's why I was wondering if anybody had seen it before and what may have caused it such as hops, Star San, WLP810, etc. No worries!

trust me...i've seen this before, and i'm almost positive this beer has a fungal infection.

The member who's picture this is said his smelled and tasted bad which mine doesnt. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll just sit back and watch it. Thanks.

aw jeez, i guess i'm the only person on this thread that finds humor in my sarcasm.

yeast is a fungus. therefore, all beers experience fungal infections.

in other words, your beer looks completely fine.

...i guess i'll have to look into a different form of humor.

brewski08 said:
aw jeez, i guess i'm the only person on this thread that finds humor in my sarcasm.

yeast is a fungus. therefore, all beers experience fungal infections.

in other words, your beer looks completely fine.

...i guess i'll have to look into a different form of humor.

I actually got your humor, kinda surprised you didn't tell him to ship it to you immediately! LOL!

It's just that this is the beginner's forum and they tend to panic at the little things so I was just trying to avoid sending someone into panic mode:)

Back