Failure or success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
If i brewed a beer free of off flavors but is a bit unbalanced and not bad but also not great is it a failure or a success?

Just depends. If you had brewed the same beer 10 times in the past, and the last 5 you nailed it.... then this one is a failure. If this is the first time you brewed the recipe, and it was a good beer, but needs some tweaking... then it is a success.

If i brewed a beer free of off flavors but is a bit unbalanced and not bad but also not great is it a failure or a success?

it depends on what your goal was. If your goal was to have a balance beer then maybe a failure, but if you still end up with a drinkable beer, then maybe a success. :)

If you learned something from a "failure" is it really a failure?

I consider any home brew I can enjoy even it it wasn't what I intended a success, because the next one is going to be even better!:)

After thinking about it a bit--if I brewed perfect beer every time I would probably get bored and move on to something else...

Thank you all for the responses! I guess i can call it a success. Yes it is beer and yes i do enjoy it. This was the first time brewing this recipe just a simple 2row citra smash. I think the main problem was that i mashed too high i really need to invest in a thermapen.

It usually takes me a couple recipes to really get where I like them. But tweaking them is all part of the enjoyment. I have one I really like now but it took me multiple brews to get there with major and minor adjustments.

Success! Balance is overrated. Embrace the unbalancedness of it. Tweak next time, if you want.

It usually takes me a couple recipes to really get where I like them. But tweaking them is all part of the enjoyment. I have one I really like now but it took me multiple brews to get there with major and minor adjustments.

Yeah i will def be tweaking this one for starters mashing lower and going with a 60 minute bittering addition rather than fwh

Back