EZ Calc Questions and my water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StankAle

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just received my water report from Ward Lab recently. It looks like I have hard water that is relatively neutral yet high in bicarbonates. When I plug this profile into the sheet, it says it is ideal for amber colored beers.
Here are my numbers:

Sodium Na: 12
Calcium Ca: 38
Magnesium Mg: 13
Sulfate SO4: 12
Chloride Cl: 22
Bicarbonate: 115
Total Alkalinity: 94
Total Hardness as CaCO3: 149
Fun Fact: I live about 2 blocks away from Three Floyd's Brewery. They use the same water I do.

Ok so here are my questions:
When using the EZ water spreadsheet, if I uncheck the "adjust for sparge" checkboxes and leave the sparge water amount at zero, the spreadsheet will only adjust for the mash correct?
Also, I am having some issue adjusting for a Schwarzbier with a SRM of 30.
My mash water is going to be about 6.25 gallons, while my batch sparge will be a total of 10 gallons split into two equal sparges.
I have a 15 gallon keg that I use as a liquor tank. I usually add all mash and sparge water to the keg. I always add my salt additions to the mash itself.

I think if you guys help me through this one time I will understand it. I have a minor handle on things but I certainly want to get additional input so I know I am doing it right.
Thanks!

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 38
Mg: 13
Na: 12
Cl: 22
SO4: 12
CaCO3: 94

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 6.5 / 10
Dilution Rate: 0%

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaCO3: 6 / 0
MgSO4: 2 / 0
NaHCO3: 2 / 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 136 / 77
Mg: 21 / 16
Na: 34 / 21
Cl: 22 / 22
SO4: 44 / 24
CaCO3: 299 / 175

RA (mash only): 190 (21 to 26 SRM)
Cl to SO4 (total water): 0.90 (Balanced)

I'm not 100% sure where the CL:SO4 ratio nor absolute levels should be but I think of a Schwartzbier as a black pilsner or a slightly more bitter (and obviously darker) Munich Helles. The target I had was Munich but I in order to get both the Cl and SO4 up higher would have reduced the RA. I think balanced is fine and the RA is enough to keep the mash from being too acidic. Kaiser seems to have concluded that chalk isn't as affective as Palmer's data suggests. In any case, I think you'll be OK with these additions.

Thanks Bobby,
This really helped clear things up. I also watched your tutorial videos, you did a great job on those!!

Back