Extruded Insulation Sheathing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
So I swear I used to see more of this stuff, but I've not been able to find any at the big box stores locally. I'm not sure what other kind of stores to look for, so can anyone give me a suggestion on where I might look for this stuff? I need it to be 1-1/2" thick...

Near me one of the two home depots carry it. Only the newer stores carry it as apparently they are made larger now? I talked to one store (pleasanton, ca) and they said they are 30% smaller than the other local store (san ramon, ca) so they don't really get that much new product variety. However, the lowes that opened up around here a few years back doesn't have any.

SO for my suggestion, check newer box box stores to see if they have it. Don't call because the employees have no idea what you are talking about.

Find a wholesale supplier of insulation, sprayfoam, type products. A company like service-partners. They sold to me, but looks like the closest is in L.A for you

I search on Google to get the right dimension sheathing and not a single big-box store within 50 miles carries it :(

I just spoke to an employee at my local Lowes and they CAN order the 1-1/2" sheet that I need... for $54! Their 1" sheets are $8.40 so I think I might be going with 1" thick and calling it good enough. I'm only looking to keep the temp in the chamber down in the mid-low 60's anyway.

Why did you need 1.5"? You could always use a sheet of 1" and a sheet of 1/2" in tandem.

I know it's not cheap, I just spend $90 today for 3 sheets of 2"

I just spoke to an employee at my local Lowes and they CAN order the 1-1/2" sheet that I need... for $54! Their 1" sheets are $8.40 so I think I might be going with 1" thick and calling it good enough. I'm only looking to keep the temp in the chamber down in the mid-low 60's anyway.

Use 2 -1" sheets and glue them together with liquid nails / proper insulation glue / urethane glue (foam!)

My frame is 2x3, so the 1.5" is the same as the 2 of the 2x3 dimension. Two sheets of 1" would be too thick :p

Then what about the previous poster? one 1" one 1/2" glued together.

That would assume I could find 1/2" as well. So far I've only been able to track down 1" locally. I had thought about gluing two together, and if I could cheaply find 1/2" to go along with my 1" it would certainly be a viable option.

Try Polyiso insulation, it has a higher R-rating than the styrofoam stuff, 9.5, compared to between 5-7. I used it on my fermentation chmaber, and the 1.5" sheet was only $26.

IMG_2587.jpg

My 5x2x3 chamber mostly insulated with 2" (r-10) and some r-30 fiberglass in the top and bottom has cooled from 63 to 40 in 4 minutes with a 5000 btu air conditioner, and the side with the doors isn't insulated yet, nor are the doors sealed.

Try Polyiso insulation, it has a higher R-rating than the styrofoam stuff, 9.5, compared to between 5-7. I used it on my fermentation chmaber, and the 1.5" sheet was only $26.

View attachment 24095

My main concern is the floor of the chamber. Since there will be kegs sitting on it, I need insulation that won't compress under the weight of the fermenting beer.

I need insulation that won't compress under the weight of the fermenting beer.

I am using the 2" polyiso stuff (got it from home depot damaged at 50% off) to build my ferm chamber and for the floor I am just going to put a piece of 3/16" or 1/4" ply sitting right on top of it.

My main concern is the floor of the chamber. Since there will be kegs sitting on it, I need insulation that won't compress under the weight of the fermenting beer.

I am using the 2" polyiso stuff (got it from home depot damaged at 50% off) to build my ferm chamber and for the floor I am just going to put a piece of 3/16" or 1/4" ply sitting right on top of it.

I just put a pice of vinyl flooring over mine, it distributes the weight evenly enough to no compress the foam. Styrofoam insul, even skinned will have some compression. I have not had any issues with mine. Plus the squares of insulation on the bottom of my chamber are like 14"x11" not very large, and there is a 2x4 cross support dividing the floor, so the small area, the extra wooden support, and the vinyl flooring create a stable floor.

Anyhow it was just a thought.

I just added plenty of support under the foam sheathing, it (2") holds at least 170 without any noticeable deformation. I was sitting on it while insulating the rest if the chamber.

Plus, I imagine styrofoam insulation will be easier to clean than plywood in the event of spillage, plywood will soak up anything that spills, foam won't.

Back