extremely murky beer in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwade

Reaction score
I am making a Whistling Pig Red Ale clone (5 gal.), the recipe for which I got out of BYO. OG was 1.053 and the Fermentis S-33 was pitched at about 60 F. It has been fermenting at 64 F (per the recipe) for three weeks, as of today. Today, I took the first gravity reading since pitching the yeast. The SG is at 1.011, so I am quite confident that it has reached FG. However two things are disturbing. First, there is a large pronounced white cloud of something (yeast?) floating in the beer. By floating I mean that you can literally see it moving around in there. This is my fifth beer, but the first that hasn't significantly cleared by this point. The sample in a glass is very murky, almost milky. The taste is somewhat watery with no predominant flavors. Logic would suggest that the murkiness is due to suspended yeast, but, as I said, I've never had this much yeast still in suspension after three weeks (especially one with a relatively low SG). However, this is also the first time I have fermented with the S-33. Is this normal for this yeast strain? The watery taste is also concerning. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have used s33 and while it isnt the best at caking, it wasn't milky by a long shot. If it is moving around, I would guess it isnt done fermenting yet. Perhaps it will go even lower.

Thanks for the reply. After looking at it more closely, I think the cloud was moving because I had moved the fermenter to get it out of the refrigerator. I'll give it a few more days before checking SG again. If it is still at 1.011, I'm going to cold crash for a few days and then bottle. I'm hoping I didn't dilute the wort too much, thus the watery taste. Based on my 5 gal. mark, it looks like I have close to 5.5 gallons. Possibly due to the increased yeast?

Back