Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbro29

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a witbier that's ready to bottle but I wanted to add some orange flavoring to it and was unable to find any orange brewers best extract.

I was wondering if using any type of extract would work? (sugar free syrups, baking extracts, etc.) I'm still bottling so I just don't want it to affect the remaining yeast.

Also I know that usually you add about 4oz for the brewers extract but I'm not sure how much to use for baking extract on a 5 gallon batch?

Using concentrated extracts can result in some very iffy results. Every bottle could become something you are reluctant to drink, but have to because you don't want to dump it.
I would suggest adding a slice of fresh orange to each glass after pouring. This way each person enjoying your brew can add the orange, add two orange slices, or enjoy it without any addition.

I've used extract once for a strawberry blonde. I used about half of what the extract bottle called for and was very pleased, as was the SWMBO and both of our female parental units.

Some people on this forum have suggested adding a measured amount to a single bottle adding more until you find a flavor threshold you are happy with, and then scaling that up to what you have. In my case it was 2.5 oz per 5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back