extract smash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordrock

Reaction score
so i have a bunch of leftovers and im thinking of doing a smash. i have 7# of german pils extract and 2oz nb hops. never made a smash before, looking for help with hop times. any help or opinions?

I'd probably say Nottingham, which attenuates more than S-04. It's more neutral.

7 lbs. of LME or DME? Assuming LME, I'm calculating that it would be around 1.050. You could add 1/2 ounces of NB at 60, 30, 10 and zero, giving you 35-40 IBUs.

I an assuming 9% AA, but I don't know what you have.

Yes, I think it would be interesting. Northern Brewer work for both bittering and flavor, so they are good as a single hop.

It looks like most NB's are more in the 7-8% range than 9%. That's not a huge difference, but you could move more hops to 60 minutes to keep the IBUs in the 35-40 range (or just accept lower IBUs...25-30 isn't bad).

.75 ounces at 60
.5 at 20 minutes
.75 at 5 minutes

There are really several ways to go, but usually there's some at 60, some at 20-30, some at 5-10. Adding at zero or dry-hopping are options, but you don't have enough hops to do all of these.

Also remember that smash brews are a lot about helping you identify malts and hops by keeping the ingredient list short. You'll understand exactly what NB does for flavor and aroma, and bittering too.

So sometimes a single malt beer, especially extracts (which have a known fermentability and thus set body and mouthfeel), can be a little 'ordinary'...so while it might not be interesting to anyone except another homebrewer, it should still be a fine beer.

it could be a good way to form a 'base beer' and then add some steeping grains to increase complexity, body, mouthfeel, etc.

thanx for the help, i think im gonna go get some more hops and dry hop as well. thanks again for helping a noob

Back