Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickbones14

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Found this recipe in a book I bought and just had a question on one of the ingredients.
Yippee IPA

5lbs light malt ex
4lbs amber malt ex
1lb crystal malt grain**
Cascade hops
Gypsum
Irish moss
American ale yeast

**what do you recommend for the crystal malt grain? 60L? 40L?

First brew that's not from a kit, just want to make sure it comes out good.

Thanks guys!

A pound of crystal malt is a bit much. When I brew pb/pm biab,I never use more than 1/2lb crystal. no more than 40L in my opinion. On the other hand,if you're going to use some 8-10 ounces of flavor/dry hops,than it might make the malt stand up to the hops better.:mug:

I'm wondering if gypsum should be added without knowledge of what is in the water you will brew with. Does the recipe specify RO or distilled water?

It doesn't specify. I found the recipe in The Homebrewers Recipe Guide by Patrick Higgins. Pretty good extract recipe collection. Love ipa and this was the first one I found. 40L we think is best? Can a mix the crystal grain?

You could mix them to tweak the color & sweetness. but I've found 40L is ok for color & a bit of darker flavor when using a ton of hops.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. It calls for 1.5oz cascade in the boil, 2oz at the end and 1oz dry hop on the transfer

Latest posts

Back