Extract pumpkin imperial ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
Want to make one. Have some 6lbs Liquid pilsen and 1lbs golden light DME. What do you guys think about using them to make a imperial pumpkin ale? Do you think I'll need additional pilsen? Should i use pumkin puree in the boil? What about safeale 05? Or another yeast? I want something higher in alcohol, 8% ish if possible. And Ik I'll need to add some spices In the boil. Then I'm thinking of using magnum hops for bitter and sazz for aroma ? Any ideas

I can speak on the US-05. It will hold up well to high ABV, from experience. I've pushed 10-plus ABV with it more than once, but I did use two packs. I'm not saying to do that but so you have the info.

Want to make one. Have some 6lbs Liquid pilsen and 1lbs golden light DME. What do you guys think about using them to make a imperial pumpkin ale? Do you think I'll need additional pilsen? Should i use pumkin puree in the boil? What about safeale 05? Or another yeast? I want something higher in alcohol, 8% ish if possible. And Ik I'll need to add some spices In the boil. Then I'm thinking of using magnum hops for bitter and sazz for aroma ? Any ideas

How big will your batch be? I know the typical is 5 gallons but there is nothing that says you can't make a 4 gallon batch....or a 25 gallon batch. We need to know before we suggest how much extract to use.

Some people have left out the pumpkin entirely as it doesn't have much flavor and tends to clog up siphons. Most of the flavor is derived from the spices.

What yeast you use depends a bit on whether you have temperature control or not. Nottingham ferments clean at temperatures between about 55 and 65 but doesn't do as well as the temperature goes up.

How big will your batch be? I know the typical is 5 gallons but there is nothing that says you can't make a 4 gallon batch....or a 25 gallon batch. We need to know before we suggest how much extract to use.

Some people have left out the pumpkin entirely as it doesn't have much flavor and tends to clog up siphons. Most of the flavor is derived from the spices.

What yeast you use depends a bit on whether you have temperature control or not. Nottingham ferments clean at temperatures between about 55 and 65 but doesn't do as well as the temperature goes up.
5 gallons and usally under 70 degrees

I would use puree around near the end of boil.acorn squash might work too.
adding cloves might ruin the flavor.

Latest posts

Back